Zeagle Zena Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ghost68

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My girlfriend is getting certified to dive this month and its getting close to the time to get her bcd and regulator setup.

We drove to a dive shop a few days ago and they had a zeagle zena that was on clearance and only available in a size medium... now after looking over this zena it had no pockets in the front, and only the ripcord weight release system. It did not come with an inflator hose (I was under the impression that the hose came standard).

The medium was adjusted all the way down and seemed to be just a bit loose. Im not sure of her exact measurements she is 5'7 and weighs ~145lbs. The owner of the shop seemed more interested in selling her another much more expensive bcd than helping her get adjusted into the zeagle... Also I really struggled to get 18lbs of soft lead into the weight pockets. The shop owner proceded to tell me about how ALL female bcds are designed so a weight belt was also required... And that the zeagle with its 32lbs of lift was a freak compared to the norm of 24-26lbs from all the other female bcds... I am definitely not going back to this dive shop any time soon but thats another story.

On to my questions:

1. This was obviously an older model of the zena what are the differences of the weight capacity of the newer models?

2. Are there any major differences of the fit of the zena through recent models?

3. Is the inflator hose standard or optional equipment?

4. Also what if any accessories comes standard with the zena?

5. Do different colors cost different amounts of money? (another dive shop said anything but black costs extra)

6. Lastly what changes has the zena gone through since introduction?

Please RUN away from this LDS if this is their attitude!! Zeagles are modular in design so they can basically be custom fitted to each person. I'm a huge Zena fan and will try to answer your questions, though hopefully Scott will correct or add to what I say.

1. The Zena has a 30 pound capacity for it's front pockets, which is 15 pounds per side. Then there are the rear tank weight pockets which hold 10 pounds each. I do not believe this is a difference between "older" and "newer" models.

2. There is no difference in fit between newer and older models, or at least in the "older" one I tried on 4 years ago and the "newer" one I bought.

3. Inflator hose is standard

4. A roll down pocket is included with the newer models, not sure if it was with the older ones.

5. Colors all cost the same.

6. Scott, I'll leave this one to you.

The most important thing to note about the Zena is that it's a very simple BC without a lot of bells and whistles. However, you can add zippered attachments near the wing to attach accessory pockets or pony bottle attachments (or at least ScubaToys they said they can with mine). When fitting the Zena on land, ideally you will cinch down each of the buckles about 1/2 way down. You don't want much more or less than this so you have play for different thicknesses of wetsuits. If you're cinching down the shoulder straps all the way but the body is still cinched 1/2 way, you need a smaller shoulder strap unit. If the body straps are loose when it's cinched down, but it fits well over the bust area, you need a smaller vest portion....you get the idea.

I'm the same height as your girlfriend but weigh more and I wear a Medium Zena. If she's interested in a Zena, call ScubaToys with her measurements and let them send her one to try on. If it isn't right, they'll work with you to get it right and you won't have to pay additional shipping.

And they just came out with pink! And no --- all the standard colors are the same cost: Zeagle Zena Womens BCD, BCDs-Womens BCDs, Zeagle, Zeagle Zena Womens BCD

zenacolors.jpg

Thank you everyone for your quick responses. I just called scubatoys about setting up a package for my girlfriend. She tried the mares aliikai also, so now we have to decide whether the zena or the mares is the better option for her. The person I talked to at ST was more than happy to let us try the zena with different size options until the fit was perfect.

If the zeagle rep wishes to chime in or anyone else has any other comments on the zena please do.

ghost,

I honestly can't remember all the Zena changes and exactly when they occurred, but ironically the first model was only 25 lbs lift. This drew a lot of heat from our northern reps and customers so it was increased to the present 34 lbs lift bladder.

If that dealer were in my territory I'd want to know about the smoke they wre blowing at you!

I worked a big sale in Seattle again this year for my sales manager, and Scott, Jeff & I sold a lot of Zenas, along with Lazers, and many mens models, and a mess of regulators.

Thanks for thinking of Zeagle!

Chad
FL Zeagle Rep.

Hi, I'm new to scuba diving. Just got open water certified and bought my wetsuit, boots and fins I have rented 2 different bcds and both rode up on me, even when everything was tightened and they were xs. I am 5'6", small framed and weight 105lbs. I tried on a Zeagle Zena and it felt so comfortable but have some concerns and thought maybe someone could give me their opinion on my concerns. The Zena has back inflation and I am worried it will make me go face down into the water when inflated, I tend to tip forward with the rentals I used. I read on a forum that this issue could be alleviated by not inflating as much. My other concern is the weights. They go into pockets that have a ripcord rather than pull out. What do you think of the ripcord weight system? I liked it so much when I tried it on in the store but really worry about the back inflation but I also don't know much about diving yet. so maybe it'll be great. To bad they didn't allow you to try it out first. If anyone would let me know what you think I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Since the Zena has rear weight pockets, and the way the other pockets are positioned, it does not take long to figure out where to put your weights to achieve the trim you want - underwater, or at the surface.

As far as the rip cord weight system... In my mind - it's the best weight system out there. Here is a long thread on just the weight system: Zeagle's rip cord system. - ScubaToys Diving Forum

And if you can get up to dallas, we have Zeagles for trying out in our pool, and for renting.

The other really important thing about the tipping forward thing, is that Zeagles put the weights on your sides instead of front. This keeps the weights from dragging you forward. I wish I had the option of trying in the water before I bought a BC, so frankly, I'd be running as fast as I could to ScubaToys and try as many BCs in the pool as possible if I were you!! :D

I just got my Zena last weekend. I picked it because I liked how it didn't have the cumber bun and was so streamlined. For me, the shoulder straps seem to have a gap in them, but I will see if that is an issue with a tank and weights on it. I also tried the Alliikai, the salesman pointed out the area behind the upper back had the opportunity to turn into a "sail" if there was any kind of current to get caught up in. I will admit the Aliikai was prettier and I did like the neoprene padding :wink:

The weather has been so nasty down here I haven't been able to really try it out, yet. I am hoping to try it out tonight in a 18 ft dive well that I offered to clean the bottom. Anything to try out my new toys...right? I will post my findings if it happens.

Well, I tried out my Zena for the first time at the extreme depth of 18 ft. :D It was a great experience to try out all of our new gear in a very controlled environment of a diving well. The synchronized swimming team above us had a good time waving at us, too.

I like my Zena. When I bought it I was between it, the LaZer, and the Mares Aliikai. I like the zip up front but I am still a bit worried my size isn't exactly right. Maybe with a wet suit it will be better. The shoulder area still had a small gap even with the tank and weights. I will also not have any more cinch if I lose weight around my waist.

The mesh pouch in the front is awesome! I am also hoping I won't need as much weight with this BC, as well. I seemed very overweighted. But, I will definitely compare this to the ocean and wet suit before I go removing any weight.

The back inflation was much better than the jacket style I had to wear in class. Neither my husband (Zeagle Stiletto) or I had any issues with it at the surface or underwater. We have a big difference in overall swimming experience and water abilities in general and both agree we like it better.

The salesman was trying to discourage me from a soft backplate but I do not think it will be a big issue for me. I did feel the tank roll slightly if I wiggled around a lot but it didn't flip me on my back or anything.

I will admit that I will always wonder if the LaZer would have been a better choice. However, I am very happy with my overall purchase.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom