Zeagle ZX Octo Freeflowing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

riguerin

Blah Blah Blah
Reaction score
I recently purchased a new Zeagle Flathead VI / ZX regulator with a ZX octo. It's a great setup, however, I notice that the ZX Oco will free flow occasionally at the surface, despite being in the Dive/Pre Dive Venturi Control in the (-) position as well as having the Diver Adjustable Breathing Sensitivity turned all the way in (clockwise). I dive in So Cal ... water temps have been in the mid-high 60's. Has anyone else experienced this? Does the octo need to be tuned?

Take it to the shop where you bought it. They probably just need to "de-tune" it. Octos are usually de-tuned a bit to prevent that.

Scottri:
Take it to the shop where you bought it. They probably just need to "de-tune" it. Octos are usually de-tuned a bit to prevent that.

Exactly. Your ocal dealer should be able to adjust it for you with no problem.

Scott

Normally screwing in the adjustable breathing resistance control would have stopped it, that's why it's there.

But your regulator is beyond it's capability, so see your dealer. It could be adjustment or it may need a new seat.

Did it happen all at once, or has it been getting progressively worse for a while?

Either way it's an easy fix.

Chad

All,

Thanks for the prompt and helpful replies. This pretty much what I figured. I'm going to take it back to the LDS where I purchased it.

Chad,

To answer your question, I just purchased this regulator/octo combo about 3 weeks ago ... only have 6 dives on it. I noticed the free flowing at the beginning of the very 2nd dive ... it's done it a couple of other times since then. Seems to do it about every other dive ... always at the surface and at the beginning of the dive.

Get them to check the IP too. That may be the cause of the free flow.

I was given a zeagle set up to test when I was back in the cold dark lakes of Luxembourg. Fairly decent but it wasn't a match for the Beuchat VX 10 Iceberg that I was using at the time. I laso had s Scuba pro mk 25 s600 rigged for cold water...that free flowed a fair bit too but performed second best after the beuchat.

boogey

edwinh:
Get them to check the IP too. That may be the cause of the free flow.

I was wondering about that too, but the primary would likely start free flowing when the octo was cranked down.

New regulators are sometimes subject to foreign matter on the seat, chrome flicks etc.

No matter the problem, it needs inspection by an authorized service tech. They'll check all the variables.

Chad

Reading the description of your original post... I'm kinda' wondering if there is anything wrong at all. Without knowing a little more of what is going on... there is a chance that you actually don't have a problem.

You talk of it free flowing, only at the beginning of the dive... and then not doing it on some other dives, but then again at the beginning of another. Normally, seats don't "heal" themselves, so I'm wondering is there a chance this is just the common mistake where when the reg is placed into the water diaphragm side down, and mouthpiece up, the pressure differential is depressing the purge and making it free flow. If you totally submerge the reg and fill it with water, does it stop?

Also those round ball octo holders, as they hold air inside, have a tendency to make octos free flow - again due to the pressure differential.

Not possible to know without a bit more info - just wanted to point out that there is a chance it is just how it is held at the beginning of a dive that might cause a problem like you outlined.

If it continues to free flow even after it is totally submerged, then probably a second seat adjustment, since as pointed out, the primary would probably be free flowing as well if it was an IP problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom