zebra mussles, good or bad?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dutch Springs (PA) vis used to be so bad that you could get credit for a night dive, then the Zebra's came - 40, 50 ft vis. Just be careful in washing your gear. We had a fellow at our LDS who worked for a water company. He said if you wash your gear do it on the grass and don't wash anything down a drain. It seems that Zebra eggs are all over your equipment, wash them down the drain, 6 months later your drain is cloged. Haven't found any evidence of this but, it makes sense.

Zebra mussels have radically changed Lake Michigan. The only good thing they have done is improve the viz. BUT, they coat everything. You go down on a wreck and its hard to identify stuff. When I started diving back in the 70's wrecks were pretty much the same as when they went down. Even 150 year old ones. No more. Their shells are as sharp as razor blades. They cut up gloves and they love to shred neoprene. They feed on the same plankton as the forage fish and have contributed to the decline of Perch, whitefish, smelt and alwife. The salmon eat the smelt and alwife. No food, guess what happens next.
As previously mentioned, there has been a decline in zebra mussels. This is partly because the gobies are eating them. The are also being pushed out by another invader, the quaga mussel. These are a little bigger and seem to grow deeper then the zebra. Hopefully, mother nature will come up with a solution to this. Everything that man does to fix any problem on the lakes tends to make things worse.
Personally,I think the zebra mussel decline in lake Michigan is due to the little buggers outstripping their food supply. The last few years the viz had been amazing in my area. This year in water less then a hundred feet, the zebras domain, the clarity has not been even close. With the exception of the Milwaukee area, there has been a decline in the mussels. I can't speak for Chicago as I don't dive down there, but its a documented fact that Milwaukee constantly dumps sewage into the lake and thats why they have a smelly lake front and zebra mussels. Sorry DNR, its not seagulls creating the problem.
So, zebra mussels a good thing? I would say no. Can we stop the spread. No, but we can slow it down. But even if we do religously wash our boats and dive gear, the waterfowl will still transport it. In the end mother nature will do what she pleases.

Jim

I did some reading on this issue a while back, while I didn't discover where the come from in the beginning I did find that they've plagued Europe for a couple hundred years and they found no solution. What they did do is engineer solutions to the problems they cause to man made stuff such as intake pipes etc.

So, if Mother Nature hasn't fixed it there yet I suspect we've got a couple hundred more years to solve our problems. The best solution is to be wary of them and be proactive in stopping the spread by taking the cautions each states DNR suggests. Here in MO we've not got some signs by the highway that seeks to inform us about the Zebra Mussel.

I think it's an up and coming problem.

They have reached New Orleans by way of the Mississippi River. The company I worked for had to use biocide daily to keep them from plugging their intake pipes.

I've never been to Haigh, or anywhere with zebra mussels.... just heard about them. I didn't realize they were sharp enough to cut neoprene suits and kevlar gloves!! Holy Cow! So... when Tina (at haigh) says to crush some and feed them to the fish, what should we use to crush them? They sound like pretty tough buggers!

Thanks for the post....interesting reading from board members on their spec. locations and the little buggers. :)

Zebras are bad news. Millbrook quarry in Manassas VA had some "introduced". The visibility became awesome but the problem was up to that time no zebras were in VA. VA Game Department undertook to poison the quarry to keep the zebras from spreading to a nearby creek. Looks successful so far. Count on paying much higher electricity costs, etc. if they get in your local waters. The cost of cleaning them up is astronomical. Looks like the eradication was successful. I like good viz as much as the next guy but purposely introducing zebras in a location is a crime.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom