zebra mussles, good or bad?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The dive we did at Haigh was amazing. There were lots of zebras, but it wasn't any problem. They seem to be a small sacrifice for the vis. And they haven’t hurt the fish population yet either. It was like swimming in an aquarium.
As for as crushing them, we just grabbed a hand full and squeezed them. The fish love them. They didn’t cut our gloves.
As far as I’m concerned if you can’t see anything there is no reason to dive. Long live the Zebra!!

SteveC:
The dive we did at Haigh was amazing. There were lots of zebras, but it wasn't any problem. They seem to be a small sacrifice for the vis. And they haven’t hurt the fish population yet either. It was like swimming in an aquarium.
As for as crushing them, we just grabbed a hand full and squeezed them. The fish love them. They didn’t cut our gloves.
As far as I’m concerned if you can’t see anything there is no reason to dive. Long live the Zebra!!

They are everywhere up here it seems, I don't know how you crushed them up in your hands, I been sliced open so many times just swimming by them. Not only do they slice me up, but even after disinfecting the cut they always seem to get at least slightly infected, making for a very annoying healing process. They cut deep too...very sharp little suckers.

Haigh has been great this year. I think I have been there 12-13 times since March. If you are not wearing a hood on the shallow side watch yours ears for blue gill bites.

I was also attacked by the big bass on top of the Rock crusher, I was point to him and he bit my finger. Good thing I had a 5 mm golve on.

If the Zebra mussels are improving the vis thats cool with me. Nothing but the rocks are naitive to the quarry anyway.

Back
Top Bottom