Zena Question for Scott

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveMaven

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm so looking forward to getting my new Zena and diving, but I do have a question. I've only dove with jacket style BC's, which seem to be very positively bouyant. When I switch to the Zena from my Diva, should I expect to drop the amount of weight I carry, or will the difference be insignificant? I know I'll need to do a bouyancy check, I'm just wondering where I should start is all. Thanks!

You might guess from my sex that i am not capable of wearing one of those BC's, but a close buddy has one and she didnt notice any additional buoyancy. There isnt much padding on this BC unlike a couple of other Zeagle BC's so it seems less buoyant. Its a good design and seems to really fit a lot of women's figures very well, although i hear good things about the Diva too. I think the Diva has a bit more padding, so you might even drop some weight and of course lose the rib crushing jacket feel too :wink:

Do the buoyancy check, but really there shouldnt be any additional. However the bungees on the wings might trap air, thus making you a little more buoyant as you might not get rid of it all on dumping.

Thanks, that's what I'm wondering....if the Zena is significantly less bouyant than the jacket type, or if it's an insignificant amount that won't affect my weighting. I dive with 12 pounds (warm water) in my Diva, and wondering if I should start my bouyancy check wtih my Zena with 12 pounds or go down to 10.

My wife has a Diva (yes I know Scott) I have had her dive a Zena and the difference in weight was a non issue.

DiveMe:
I dive with 12 pounds (warm water) in my Diva, and wondering if I should start my bouyancy check wtih my Zena with 12 pounds or go down to 10.
Start at 12, check it at the end, adjust as necessary. Its only going to be the difference of 2#, you can more than make that up (upto 5/6#) with your breathing alone - but its nice not to have to force your breathing to stay neutral when the weight belt/BC can take up the slack. Just suck it and see. :wink:

I have a friend who also has one of each, Diva and Zena. She has no weight factor with either.

One common misconception of Zeagle lumbar pads is that the thick foam used there has high buoyancy. It doesn't. Dennis Bulin proved it to me many years ago by submerging a big bunch of the stuff. What happens when placed in water looks like what happens to toilet tissue when it gets wet, instant saturation and virtually zero buoyancy.

The kind of foam used in most shoulder straps and vest bodies, although thin, has some buoyancy. So bigger sizes will have more buoyancy as will models with more of this type of material in use. Our BC reviews show most Zeagle BCs to have very low inherent buoyancy.

Chad

Thanks everyone, I'll definitely plan on starting with my normal weight and adjusting from there. Since I'm in the process of losing body weight, I'd need to do a bouyancy check anyway, but it's helpful to know that it's my fat loss that will likely cause me to carry less weight instead of my Zena. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom