Zhung Kong Robbed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just finished reading this thread. The irony of Americans discussing crime on Bonaire as a reason not to visit is priceless. Mike just don't go to Bonaire it's OK the island will survive without you, Drrich2 SHHHHH! the less people who go the better for us. Let them hide under their bed in fear. I have had 150+ dives on the island and looking forward to 150 more.

You wasted your time reading all of this to come up with that???? LOL

Okay, I won't go there cause scubaguy told me not to.

I have been broken into in Hawaii and Aruba. Both times I had valuables in my car. I have been to Curacao and Bonaire several times and have left windows down, doors unlocked and have not had a problem. There is crime EVERYWHERE but you just need to use your head alittle bit and don't leave any valuables behind. That's a big lesson I had to learn. Most of these people that are squaking about the crimes in Bonaire probably have theft and even bigger things in their hometown EVERY WEEKEND!!!!! There is no perfect place but use common sense ALWAYS!!!!

Bonaire.... I am so sad to hear that some groups are not coming back to this beautiful dive destination due to crime. I dont take the crime lightly but being on the island for a month now I have seen the police take more action. There have been 9 arrests so far that I know of with criminals ( for lack of a better word) fire arms, they had a trial just before I came here and convicted someone of huge importance to the criminal express lane.
There are more plain cloths police now than ever, and they have brought in more off island help to try to stop the armed robberies and robberies themselves.
I will keep coming back and being that today is 9/11 reminded me that I will not be afraid or intimidated by the bad guys!

I will be interested to see if I detect a greater police presence when I am there next month. In threads discussing the crime problem, I have often said that the government will do something about it when it gets "bad enough" that the impact felt on their economy approaches the cost of increased enforcement.

I have noticed discreet difference, nothing in your face,, but you know they are there to catch the bad guys now and are tired of the armed robberies.

Am I the only one that finds them bringing in deputies from Aruba to help investigate crimes somehow a bit comical? I mean really...bringing in the police who couldn't figure out who killed Natalie Holloway to help with crimes you can't solve yourself? Ok...mostly joking...but you have to admit it is kind of funny.

With that said, I am sure that just like in most other places, the Aruban police knew who had killed her and it was the judicial side that made it difficult for them to prove given the connections of the perp. But I have always felt the same problem exists in Bonaire. There is zero chance that the police don't know generally who is responsible for most of the crime targeting tourists in Bonaire. So the fact that nothing is done about it strongly suggests that there is a barrier somewhere in the system preventing them from doing anything about it.

For those who compare crime in Denver or Chicago or elsewhere in the US to Bonaire, you are missing the point. The US is a giant country with millions of people in it that has a hugely diverse economy. We have the same economic disparity in our population that Bonaire does, so there are the same inclinations in the population to resort to crime at times. When somebody in Denver or Miami steals something, you have a massive pool of potential suspects, many avenues (local and distant) for them to dispose of their loot for cash, and no set place where you would expect the crime to happen. However, Bonaire is not a huge country. Bonaire is a very small country with a very small population relative to the US, or even to many of the cities mentioned. It is an island whose economy is very narrow and very dependent on money from tourists. As such, the number one priority of the government should be to be absolutely intolerant of anything that has the potential to disrupt that economic engine. Crime on a small island with a small population is not something that happens anonymously. When a window is broken on a car in Denver, there may be 50,000+ potential suspects if you consider all kids between the ages of 12 and 20. On Bonaire, that pool of suspects is much smaller, and their avenues to translate their thefts into cash even smaller still. It is not a complex policing problem. You know where the thefts are likely to occur (shore dive sites), you know at what time they are likely to occur (mostly during the day while divers are in the water), you know who the likely perps are (kids or young adults living near the dive sites or lingering in the area). So why is there no interest in actually trying to catch them at it? There must be some internal barrier to doing what is necessary, and I have never figured out what that barrier is or why it would exist on an island whose lifeblood is tourism. Never made sense to me...

I correlate Denver/etc because of the chicken littles pretending like Bonaire is this dangerous place while they are are more likely to suffer violent crimes at home. So it is you that missed my point.

If I live somewhere...it is because I have accepted that the risk of crime is worth what I am getting paid to work and live in that location. If I am going to pay my hard earned money to visit somewhere for pleasure...I have a different standard of how much risk of crime I am willing to accept. Just because any given city in america may have similar types of crime doesnt mean you would be willing to pay lots of money to go visit them. In this case...bonaire is fairly unique in that the crime very directly targets tourists...specifically divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom