Zhung Kong Robbed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Before we get the obligatory, "most divers have nothing to worry about" post. Yes, that is true. I've never been robbed either. The bodega many of us divers from Eden to Dandy Don's and beyond getting robbed though affects a lot of people potentially. The people who run Zhung Kong stay pretty much price competitive for some of our staples even though its the closest place to get some of them.

Three police officers from Aruba to support KPCN

Today, three police officers from Aruba were sworn in.
They are on Bonaire for a period still to be determined to support their colleagues of the Dutch Caribbean Police Force (KPCN).

A word of thanks goes out to the Minister of Justice and the Chief of Police of Aruba.

In the picture from left to right:
Mr. M. Sint Jago, Mr. R. Sofia, Mrs. G. Kock, Mr. E. Doornkamp and the Chief of Police Caribisch Nederland, Mrs. H.M.I. Buitink

It at least appears something is trying to be done about the problem.

Before we get the obligatory, "most divers have nothing to worry about" post. Yes, that is true. I've never been robbed either. The bodega many of us divers from Eden to Dandy Don's and beyond getting robbed though affects a lot of people potentially. The people who run Zhung Kong stay pretty much price competitive for some of our staples even though its the closest place to get some of them.

It at least appears something is trying to be done about the problem.

It does increase my level of concern. We are not talking petty theft any more. So now it will be leave the truck open with nothing of value left behind. And don't carry any cash. Not good for the small shops.

Hope all 3 were very good--& fast--swimmers, if they wanted to get away.....:)......

I don't know just how common these vehicle/ property thefts actually are.
But I do recall being surprised at the attitude of "Leave the windows down/Don't lock the truck/Don't leave any valuables in the truck" which suggests to me that they are common.
It also struck me as sort of blaming the tourists when thefts occurred, like the tourist had the nerve to bring a bag with them.
So, I think it is likely that if these thefts had been more vigorously investigated and pursued, there may not have been this escalation to violent crime.
Bonaire is now off the list of possible locations for a 12 person March 2015 trip. Perhaps a decline in tourism will get the residents' attention.

LOL.

Too F'n funny. For years I argue over and over again about the whole situation of Bonaire and the windows thing, how the reaction to crime is to not roll up a window is absurd and has consequences. Room invasions are blamed on the victims, rental house break ins, blamed on the victim, safes being removed or broken into in rooms blamed on the victims. Years and years of excuses and rationalizations from posters posting over and over again how crime is everywhere else how dangerous US cities are, on and on....

...too stupid

Another grocery store got robbed since Zhung Kong.

According to the Forum Bonaire FB page this morning....ow they are implementing a random search policy at the discretion of the police. From how the FB post reads the police can stop and search anyone for any reason looking for firearms. Hopefully they are actually targeting people who may be responsible and not just putting on a show.

That being said it still pales in comparison to the crime in south florida. (and Denver)

That being said it still pales in comparison to the crime in south florida. (and Denver)

I can answer that in two ways -

1) Right now it might. The same can be said before when all we were talking about was some flip flops being stolen out of rental trucks, and now look where we are at...

2) It doesn't pale at all if you actually compare crime rates per population. Bonaire is a tiny island with a tiny population, the crime rate is disproportionate to the population of Denver or south Florida. The police force in Bonaire should be spending their time getting stray cats out of trees, and walking old ladies across the streets.

We were really close to booking airfare back to Bonaire for Spring 2015 after much back and forth about whether we need to try some place new or go back to where we considered heavenly. When all of these armed robberies came to light (starting with KFC, and then we heard B2B, Lover's, ZK.....) we decided to look elsewhere.

We will probably come back but our fear is the escalation and we need to monitor the situation for a bit before voting with our dollars again....

It wasn't the only factor, but it was a factor in the decision making process!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom