Reasons for using aluminum tanks in cold water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I side mount AL80s in the Mexican Cenotes, I have to add weight to get neutral. I do put 3 pounds on the bottoms of each tank as I don't like how the butt changes buoyancy through the dive.

Well, that's EXACTLY what many of us look for in aluminium tanks...

...will carry on to advanced SM, wreck, etc..so, as a rule tanks are neutral and diver is neutral.
Yeah, makes sense. If have to take the tanks of you really don't want them to be part of your weight system.
Unfortunately (for me) we don't really have any wrecks worth entering in the Balic, they all really small and the conditions kinda suck throughout most of the year.
If I plan to take the tanks off for I'd rather use ALs to or at least carry enough weight to keep me neutral without the tanks.

Sure, but the loops of you Stealth work better for steel than the single bungee of the Razor... steel tanks get too wobbly with a single bungee.
The double standard I don't really see. Why wouldn't you mod a Razor?

How much weight do you need with your Al80s in Canada? Doesn't that bother you?
I'm a lucky fellow, in that I'm dense...or at least that's what my teachers said to me in high school :wink: I only need 20lbs when ice diving. They go right into the pockets along the spine of the bcd, which is exactly where I want them for maneuverability. It doesn't bother me at all. I'm not a fan of weighting tanks, as I don't have an issue with repositioning the tanks. Small as a weight is, it's still an extra entanglement hazard for me, especially if I'm pushing the tank out in front of me. Plus I've had weights jam me up before.

Not to pick on you Benno, but saying you can't dive steels with the Razor because of the single bungee is the double standard that I'm talking about. Why can't you just add loop bungees of whatever thickness to alleviate this problem? You can mod it just like any other bcd to your liking. And don't get me wrong, I am not a fanboy like Razorista. I'm on your side regarding his opinions. The weight system is a pain when you have to adjust anything. If you need to adjust one thing, you need to adjust everything. It's set up to be precise, but that precision is its downfall when adjustments have to be made.

Why can't you just add loop bungees of whatever thickness to alleviate this problem? You can mod it just like any other bcd to your liking.
Sure you can mod the Razor, I wasn't saying you can't or shouldn't. Razorista thinks it's perfect, not me.
I like the Razor, what I don't like is the weight system and the single bungee becaue the valves will always hang too low and too far in front, IMHO. I have used it with steel tanks, it works, I just don't think it work well with the single bungee.

... just don't think it work well with the single bungee.
Yes, but you think that even confronted with contrary evidence (see picture linked above).

Around me everyone uses single bungee (after some time knowing me and the instructors I regularly dive with).
All (those who try) are able to dive heavy steels with it, on Razors, Stealths, Diamonds, Hollis, Toddys, build-your-owns, any existing system more or less.

It is not the optimal system for heavy tanks, but has other advantages and can carry any tank type or size at least 'good enough'.

... I am not a fanboy like Razorista....
I am not a fanboy, ask HP, I am one of the people most critical and discuss everything form several points of view with him, when I get the chance.
The Razor is a tool for me and I would mothball it without regret or hesitation if something better comes along.
I just believe that is highly unlikely to happen soon. :wink:

I know how sidemount works quite well in theorie and practical application and the Razor is a 'perfect' system to choose to have a very easy transition.
That is not something I make up, I can prove that by my own example and by many other examples as well.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

The moderators have noticed that the temperature in this thread is a bit on the high side. We really would prefer not to have to intervene in interesting discussions, so remember the Terms of Service and keep your posts civil. Personal differences should be discussed independent of a public thread

Back
Top Bottom