nitrox or air,

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I can do multilevel dive I use EAN21.
If it is a square profile on a new site(24-36m) then I might consider using Nitrox.
If it is multi-dive(>3) in a single day then I will use nitrox on couple of them.
Have to be flexible.

Have you done a cost-benefit analysis? Is that why you switch to air?

What do you see when you run a table? I'm wondering how those air dives work your N2 loading.

Have you done a cost-benefit analysis? Is that why you switch to air?

What do you see when you run a table? I'm wondering how those air dives work your N2 loading.
Cost-benefit analysis? BS.
I DID NOT switch to AIR from Nitrox it was the other way round and ONLY if required!
I only use nitrox if there is any beneficial to the dive ie extend the bottom time around 24-36m range and on square profile.
As for the N2 loading? This is my least concern, CNS is far more important. And in deeper dive I replace the N2 with He!
Nitrox is NOT a magic bullet! Use your brain.

BTW, have you ever been to places where only EAN21 is available?

air.

i consistently see nitrox introduce a new problem for the voodoo gas divers: they need to hustle about and find the analyzer, analyze their tank, record it and make the dive op happy before they splash. 5 to 10 minutes of wasted surface time for each dive.

if it can solve a problem you have, then please use it. it does not solve any of my problems. if your minimum AND maximum dept was around 80 ft then nitrox could be helpful.

we dive long and shallow. shallow enough that nitrox has no benefit. side benefit of air is that we can pop down deeper if we want...

Most of my dives are either shallow or too deep for Nitrox. Even when I make dives where Nitrox would be beneficial I rarely do. I've made over 2000 dives since getting certified in 1989 and rarely make more than two dives per day. I've never made more than three. I use Nitrox as a deco gas when making deep dives, but as a back gas I have used it less than fifty times in the fifteen years I have been certified to do so.

Is it just me, or do I see many people valuing nitrox singularly for the reason of extending bottom time?

Don't people value insulating themselves from the risk of DCI?

Since where I dive the local hyperbaric chamber has probably never seen a bent diver I use it to give me a little more time but mostly to allow me that added cushion when I dive.

Is it just me, or do I see many people valuing nitrox singularly for the reason of extending bottom time?

While simple logic might suggest some risk reduction, it is my impression that supporting data is lacking if gas loading is properly managed.

I certainly do.

Since the rate of DCS incidents is already less than .01% using air there can be only a minute reduction using Nitrox. Nitrox allows for longer available bottom time or shorter surface intervals. There is no proof of any safety factor nor reduction in fatigue other than anecdotal beliefs.

While simple logic might suggest some risk reduction, it is my impression that supporting data is lacking if gas loading is properly managed.

Marginally less simple logic suggests that while more O2 means less N2, less N2 does not automagically translate to fewer/smaller bubbles.

Back
Top Bottom