Just took a pci/psi visual course. Looking for more precise information

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

211ratsbud

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Is there a more precise or definitive guide to wear on threads, corrosion of threads and overall condition? Specifically steel tanks in this case.

If you just took the PCI/PSI course, then you had a full day of learning that tanks explode and PCI/PSI is the greatest organization in the world. Did you not also have the 15-30 minutes at the end when they teach you how to inspect tanks--or did they run out of time?

Look, I'm trying to build my personal database. Im asking politely for you to leave your personal qualms with that organization out of my quest for supplemental information.

I do not wish to leave my question unanswered and my mind wondering. If you can contribute to the OP that would be a great contribution.

Send me a email, and I can start sending you a lot of information I have archived. Most of the information will come from CGA pans, 49 CFR, and the manufacturer.
Myles
And be prepared to spend some money on it, too.

By the way, the OP's original question is much too broad and unspecific to give a specific answer, especially if a little satire is so objectionable. It is a broad and deep subject, a little like asking if someone could please provide some info on dive travel.

By the way, the OP's original question is much too broad and unspecific to give a specific answer, especially if a little satire is so objectionable. It is a broad and deep subject, a little like asking if someone could please provide some info on dive travel.
To that end I don't know what I don't know. I take this seriously myself. Sorry to have been a prude

If you are saying That I would charge for this information, your wrong and I don't know where you get that impression. I wouldn't offer up documents/info and then charge. If your saying that some of the sources will charge, than yes, your correct. CGA will charge, and it isn't cheap. If you want the CFRs you can pay for the hard copy, but the digital copy is free. Additionally the majority of manufactures information is usually free and online or you just need to call. They are normally willing to give you the info free. As to the OP, I applaud your willingness to expand your knowledge in this area.

Yes, my first response was satirical, but there is a very serious point to it. You should not need to ask this question after having taken a course like that. I took the PCI/PSI course for the first time a number of years ago, along with almost all the other instructors associated with the dive shop where I worked. We spent the day primarily looking at pictures of exploded tanks. At the very end, the guy had us look at some tanks for about 30 minutes. We were already running late when that episode started. Our Course Director made sure the guy knew in no uncertain terms how unsatisfactory he thought the workshop was. I then let my certification lapse and had to do the full workshop over again, this time with a different presenter. Once again we spent an entire day on unimportant stuff, including about 20 stories with the purpose of making sure we know that everyone in the world thinks PCI/PSI is the greatest organization in existence. This time we had even less time to do any actual inspection work, and, once again, that part started after the workshop was supposed to be over.

I will keep saying things like this until PCI/PSI gets the message. Their workshops need to focus on teaching participants how to evaluate tanks so they can walk out of it knowing how to deal with what they will see when they do visual inspections.

So if you wanted to learn things like inspecting tanks and oxygen cleaning, who does it in a reasonable fashion?

Yes, I was referring to the costly CGA stuff, which is the source matetial. Pretty much everything else is derivative. Re PCI, I've taken the course from an excellent instructor, and it was mostly doing actual inspections. I'm kind amazed that on most of ScubaBoard it is the instructors that are thought to be the primary cause of poor instruction, but in this thread it is the agency that is the culprit. Odd.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom