Just FYI...DO NOT GET CERTIFIED WITH THOM DUTTON!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you have been issued a temp PADI card (which means you have a PADI certification) any PADI instructor or PADI HQ can look up your info in 10 seconds. I am in Austin. If you need help message me.
I suspect the store issued them a temp from a paper PIC that had already been submitted.

If certification was ever filed with Padi- you can check by going directly to Padi website- PADI | The Way the World Learns to Dive®
go to replace card and type in your name and birth date- and if cert was filed info will come. Instructor might of had cards sent to his address so you never received them.

Pretty sure it wasn't through PADI. A Thomas Dutton of Austin, TX is on PADI's Special Advisory list as not having been a PADI instructor since 2004 and not being authorized to teach PADI courses: Special Advisories - Divemaster, Assistant Instructors and Instructors

It also looks like it is not the first time this situation looks to have arisen with this instructor: Deep Blue in the news

A google search also returned a resolved Better Business Bureau complaint from 2013 on a similar failure to receive a cert card: Consumer Experience for Deep Blue Scuba - BBB serving Central, Coastal, Southwest Texas and the Permian Basin

Looks like this guy has been doing this for years! That's just sad. I feel sorry for the OP and I'm sure many, many others.

Looks like there are scam artist in every business.too bad that there are some among scuba professionals.

if that is the case maj2 they have no recourse except. to repeat O.W. training, that sucks..

Probably all depends on the agency that the course was under and whether he is recognized as an instructor with them. PADI looks to have parted ways with him in 2004. In the older thread here on ScubaBoard, there is a 2007 post saying he was with SDI/TDI. In this thread, there was mention of ANDI. If ANDI (and he is still an ANDI instructor), hopefully the OP can get it straightened out with the agency. If another agency, you are almost certainly correct.

To the OP: rest assured that your experience here is the exception rather than the rule when it comes to instructors. Good luck getting it straightened out, and welcome to the sport!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom