OPV sizes? 3d printing project

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all,

Looking to gather sizes from OPV's and inflator valves for a 3d printing project, will make the files available once complete to allow user to repair BCD's that would normally be trashed. I'm not selling anything and this will be a simple email to a 3d printing company where you send them the file and they send you the part for DIY repairs, similar to Scubafix but drastically cheaper. "Those of you that like your old BCD'S under this program can keep your old BCD's, we won't force you to buy new ones"

yes i have been looking at those but certain manufacturers use larger propriety connections like seaquest, tusa etc, the newer design would have a more robust flange to prevent cracking and increased surface are to adhere properly to bcd if glue is used or increased clamping force if screwed in.

yes i have been looking at those but certain manufacturers use larger propriety connections like seaquest, tusa etc, the newer design would have a more robust flange to prevent cracking and increased surface are to adhere properly to bcd if glue is used or increased clamping force if screwed in.

Completely agree. The DGX BLADDER FLANGE that Dive Gear Express sells has a very little flange that has the same size than the thread. With this it cannot be used to repair a BCD that has a flange broken. The flange should be one inch wider to be able to fix to the broken bladder.
Scuba Fix does it but I do not want to order a flange kit that will not fit my BCD. Besides, shipping cost is way too costly.
So, if there is a 3D printing project for a BCD flange, I would like to participate.

remember that it is almost guaranteed that the 3d printed parts will not be truly water/air tight, and that they will be nowhere near as durable as the moulded/milled equivalents

remember that it is almost guaranteed that the 3d printed parts will not be truly water/air tight, and that they will be nowhere near as durable as the moulded/milled equivalents

Yes, molding and milling technology is very established, understood, and optimized. But, times are changing!

Improvements in 3d printing are currently following a Moore's Law type curve. The changes in materials and methods are rapidly advancing. Unless you've investigated the possible material properties within the last few months, I would not discount them as soon (or already) viable replacements. Eight months ago I saw a bunch of parts you would NEVER think were 3d printed (plastic and metal).

We're not talking about a glue gun on gears anymore...

Back
Top Bottom