BP/W with one piece harness NOT for everyone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a fix may literally be as simple as a prusik loop with a bolt snap on it that you loop through the left chest d-ring and clip the right to act as a chest strap. Similar to how a lot of us run our chest straps for sidemount...

each is right... and it depends on if you want to "tweak" it or abandon it..... Sadly, there aren't too many shops in the recreational realm that really have a clue as to how a BP/W needs to be set up, let alone the little things to refine the fit for someone.... doing it on your own can lead to results that make you want to abandon them and think they are horrid! Spend a little time asking some questions based on your experiences, and there are likely solutions. Some may involve changing out things, and it's frustrating when costs pile up when you just want to be diving the thing and you are doing something like swapping out a harness...

I am into comfort. I have a Transplate, with backpad, padded crotch strap, and SS BP/STA and an Oxycheq Mach V Extreme. HP100 steel tank. Very nice streamline unit. Great stability for hiking our California Coastline. I have a bad shoulder/elbow and always use the left shoulder quick release when removing. I use 18lbs with a 9mm one piece wetsuit. 6' 210lb. My shoulder straps have the Diverite sleeves. I would not call them padded. They are wider and are great for hiking. The chest strap brings the shoulder straps to the correct position on my shoulders for hiking.

It took me quite a while sitting in front of the TV to put it together. It is essentially setup just like my backpack for hiking. When hiking the belt takes the weight off the shoulder straps. The chest strap is adjusted to get the shoulder straps in the most comfortable position and can easily be adjusted while hiking.

The weight is not on the shoulder straps just like a hiking backpack. It is on my hips. The shoulder straps and chest strap can be adjusted while hiking just like a backpack for the best comfort. REI will show customers how to adjust their backpacks. Same adjustments applies to TransPlate. Diverite will also help and has videos. Go to their site to watch.

Last edited:
It's not that my shoulders are wider than his shoulders (which they are), but the more important thing is that his shoulders slope down and mine are horizontal. In the picture below, he is #1 and I am #2 or 3. So, basically, the harness straps just slide off, whereas if he was wearing a jacket-style bcd that had a chest strap, he doesn't have that problem.

What if a chest-strap can't fix that problem?

I agree Scubaboard is very pro bp&w. I don't use that set up myself for a variety of reasons. Here's the thing though...with any new piece of equipment, it makes sense to try it a number of times and get assistance from experts before giving up on it...if you liked the idea of it originally. If it still doesn't work, then it totally makes sense to find something you do love. Not everyone will like the same things.

Also, while it's nice to have the same equipment a spouse does, it's far better to find the right piece of equipment that suits you each best.

I wish you happy diving no matter which set-up you eventually choose.

It's not that my shoulders are wider than his shoulders (which they are), but the more important thing is that his shoulders slope down and mine are horizontal. In the picture below, he is #1 and I am #2 or 3. So, basically, the harness straps just slide off, whereas if he was wearing a jacket-style bcd that had a chest strap, he doesn't have that problem.

What if a chest-strap can't fix that problem?

Hi Dogbowl and sorry for the troubles you and your husband have had. As to some of your issues.

I have a freedom plate so not a standard plate but I too had the shoulders cutting into my arm pit issue and restricting arm motion underwater. But I found my biggest mistake was having the shoulders cinched too tight. Now they are very loose and it has helped that problem immensely. Any significant hiking rigging can still be an issue and I have a chest strap and pads I can add as needed. But in the water I don't even know it is there.

I also do not use a one piece harness but have 2 quick releases that I also added. I think this also allows the webbing to angle a little flater as it curves around my arm.

Cross the shoulder straps behind you.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom