Just curious, How much different between OC Sidemount & sidemounting bailouts for CCR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tstormdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
So,.... I'm going to give this sidemount thing a try. I've ordered a SMS75 system. I already use a SMS75 wing on my Prism2. I sidemount my bailouts & seem to have things dialed in pretty tight with the configuration. For the time being, I will be using my AL80 bailouts to practice with & may eventually go on to steels, if it shows promise. I pretty much already have my regulators (Hollis DCX 1st stages & SP S600 2nd stages) set up for streamlining. I realize that gas management is a "must" while diving. what is the best way for hose management, as I typically carry 7' hoses on each side,... However, with CCR, I the regulators stay stowed,.. not partially deployed for use,... unless I am in need of it. Just trying to make the transition as smooth as possible, using as much equipment as I already have.

The sidemount bcd's with the wing under the rails cause issues as you inflate the wing with heavy steel tanks as your ballast. Since your tanks will be nearly full all the time I am betting you will find you have issues. Wish you luck.

My current configuration is the cylinders are attached to a butterfly D-ring on the crotch strap. I usually have a difficult time reaching the rails (tried some sidemount butt plates), because I have rather short arms. I can reach the D-rings much easier.

for backmount CCR if you want to sidemount bailouts, there is no reason to switch to a sidemount rig. Just put bungees on the top and either a butt plate or drop d-rings on the bottom. If you were getting a rig to backmount a ccr and sidemount bottles I would have gone with a Dive Rite XT long before I went with an SMS system for reasons mentioned by @bamafan

If you can reach a butterfly on the crotch strap, the rails should be easy to reach, but I prefer these for my sidemount rig for bottle attachment
DeepSeaSupply - Product Detail

If it were me, I'd keep the regular backplate with whatever wing you want. Use the offset d-rings linked above on the waist strap as close to the plate as possible, and grab one of these to mount the bungees. Will slip through the cam band slot on your plate, and be held in by the bolts on the CCR.
Cave Adventurers - Cave Adventurers Old School Kit for Nomad - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!

You aren't so much needing a sidemount rig for the streamlining, so no need to get rid of the regular harness setup you are using now, you just need appropriate mounting points for the sidemount tanks.

Last edited:
Rails and aluminum cylinders aren't a good mix. Rails (and crotch-strap attachments) are typically much lower than the waistband. When you consume gas, the cylinders become buoyant. You move them to forward waistband D-rings to retain cylinder trim. The difference in height between buttplate rails (on the buttocks) and waist D-rings (above the hips) pushes the cylinder forwards. This destroys any hope of cylinder trim.

Sidemount-Hose-Routing-1.jpg

for backmount CCR if you want to sidemount bailouts, there is no reason to switch to a sidemount rig. Just put bungees on the top and either a butt plate or drop d-rings on the bottom. If you were getting a rig to backmount a ccr and sidemount bottles I would have gone with a Dive Rite XT long before I went with an SMS system for reasons mentioned by @bamafan

If you can reach a butterfly on the crotch strap, the rails should be easy to reach, but I prefer these for my sidemount rig for bottle attachment
DeepSeaSupply - Product Detail

If it were me, I'd keep the regular backplate with whatever wing you want. Use the offset d-rings linked above on the waist strap as close to the plate as possible, and grab one of these to mount the bungees. Will slip through the cam band slot on your plate, and be held in by the bolts on the CCR.
Cave Adventurers - Cave Adventurers Old School Kit for Nomad - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!

You aren't so much needing a sidemount rig for the streamlining, so no need to get rid of the regular harness setup you are using now, you just need appropriate mounting points for the sidemount tanks.
I am already sidemounting my bailouts with a back mounted CCR.
Tammy Rebreather3.jpg

I am trying to go to OC sidemount for a trip to Mexico next year. Most of the caves I dive there are really too shallow for CCR to be practical. The general easier travel with independent cylinders that with backmounted doubles, is what is attracting me. As for Dive Rite equipment, I have mostly moved away from them because of their long history of dropping excellent equipment lines & jumping on the wagon of the latest & greatest & dropping all support of said excellent equipment. Cases in point: The Classic wing (IMO a better back mounted doubles wing than any I have been able to find to date), their HID Canister lights- good thing Light Monkey came on the scene about then. Their Nitek Duo/ Tri & Trimix computers, for the largely failed Q. I opted for the Hollis system because I already have the SMS75 wing & only need the harness, instead of buying a whole new system. I did try both a Dive Rite & Golem Gear butt plates with rails about 3 yrs ago., The butt plates placed the rails too far down (low) for me to easily reach (almost between my legs). The butterfly D-ring I spoke of looks like those offset D-rings you show, except welded together. I have then set rather high up on my crotch strap, just under my backplate, to allow me to reach them with relatively little problem.

Rails and aluminum cylinders aren't a good mix. Rails (and crotch-strap attachments) are typically much lower than the waistband. When you consume gas, the cylinders become buoyant. You move them to forward waistband D-rings to retain cylinder trim. The difference in height between buttplate rails (on the buttocks) and waist D-rings (above the hips) pushes the cylinder forwards. This destroys any hope of cylinder trim.

View attachment 382616
My current attachment point (Crotch strap D-ring is about 4" below my waist strap, to allow me to reach the points. The buttplates put the rails basically between my legs & too far down for me to effectively reach. I do have a set of the thick Rubber O-rings that can be used for sliding rings on the waist band.

So,.... I'm going to give this sidemount thing a try. I've ordered a SMS75 system. I already use a SMS75 wing on my Prism2. I sidemount my bailouts & seem to have things dialed in pretty tight with the configuration. For the time being, I will be using my AL80 bailouts to practice with & may eventually go on to steels, if it shows promise. I pretty much already have my regulators (Hollis DCX 1st stages & SP S600 2nd stages) set up for streamlining. I realize that gas management is a "must" while diving. what is the best way for hose management, as I typically carry 7' hoses on each side,... However, with CCR, I the regulators stay stowed,.. not partially deployed for use,... unless I am in need of it. Just trying to make the transition as smooth as possible, using as much equipment as I already have.
Not sure what neck bungies you are using with the prism (is there a backplate on that or are you using the whole SMS75 BC?). If you are using the old school style (loop over the knob) with a butterfly dring the absolute simplest conversion is to keep using both and just put a 2lb lead brick on the bottom part of the cam band around the Al80. They'll hang just like in your photo even as you use up the gas. I would probably use a shorter 2nd stage hose on the left tank and put that reg on a necklace. Leave the 7ft on the right tank.

All in you need:
2x 2lb bricks that most MX shops loan for free when you rent tanks.
A 40" LP hose that you probably already have on a stage reg someplace.
A piece of bungie and a new zip tie.

Simple and not alot of fluff for an OC trip to MX.

My current attachment point (Crotch strap D-ring is about 4" below my waist strap, to allow me to reach the points. The buttplates put the rails basically between my legs & too far down for me to effectively reach. I do have a set of the thick Rubber O-rings that can be used for sliding rings on the waist band.

There's some very effective approaches for diving aluminum cylinders. Trying to bastardize aluminum cylinders to behave like steel cylinders (adding cylinder weights) is not one of them. Steel and aluminum really do benefit from different approaches.

But creating 'mock steel tanks' is what a lot of divers with more steel, than aluminum, cylinder experience will advise. Stick with what you know, I guess. But it's not optimum, by any stretch of the imagination. It can, however, be more convenient if you're diving steels at home most of the time...and only doing brief trips to warmer climes where aluminium is norm.

If you're constricted in rear attachment options, then do look into loop bungees. These create a useful rotation effect of aluminum cylinders, torquing them into the side of the torso. This also means that your attachment points, front and back, don't need to be spaced so far apart.

Depending on your waistline, you could probably get away with putting a simple D-ring at the rear, where the BCD is tightened down on the waist strap. And another D-ring forward on the hips.

Personally, I find switching D-rings much easier and less cumbersome than a sliding D-ring approach. Rubber O-rings, such as those which come with XDeep sidemount rigs, aren't that slick to manipulate.

The rubber O-rings do, however, make a great attachment point on the shoulder straps through which to route your (sliding) loop bungees.

I have just transitioned to SM and thought I would be in great shape due to slinging side bailout for my RB diving. Biggest differences?

Hose routing: My bailout had the hose all tucked away and secured, reg in a spot I could see / reach and thats it. Now, I need to deal with 2 regs that I am swapping and dealing with the (unusual to me) hose routing. Not an issue but part of the differences learning curve.

Tank positioning: Because of my counterlung placement etc I was never too worried about where the BO cylinder was, as long as it was clipped on securely and ROUGHLY horizontal I was happy. Also, the BO has so far stayed unused so no changes in position during the dive. Set and forget. Now, as I breathe them down they are changing so I need to add some effort in moving the d-ring attachment point etc.

That being said, since I am using SM purely for OW work, if my tanks arent perfectly horizontal I dont lose any sleep over it. In fact, I like the tail to be a LITTLE high, makes it easier for me to judge where they are in relation to my legs and the bottom

All in all, not a massive difference but enough to justify some mentorship from a SM guru to fine tune

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom