(05 JUN 05) Missing diver at Whytecliff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daryl Morse:
Here is an image of a navigation chart for the Whytecliff Park area. The contours and soundings are in metres. As you can see, a dive to 150 fsw takes you out quite far beyond the day marker.
Where did you get the chart? Scan them yourself?

It sounds like low vis could be one of the factors here, making it easier to loose a buddy.

This is a common situation in summer time and a good reason to avoid more technical dives during this period unless the vis is acceptable to your comfort level. These divers may have been ok with the vis and had other problems but it is something for all of us to consider.

I know divers who considers any dive where the vis is less than about 12-15 ft to be below their comfort level and they will abort the dive. My personal comfort level at around 10 ft but it depends on the difficulty of the dive and who I am diving with.

Interesting chart, though from what I remember 150 doesn't seem to be that far out there, but I could be wrong. I have been to 130 at the cut and had plenty of water below me, but I didn't think I was out past the day marker.

Regardless, it's a sad day and a reminder to all to be careful and dive safe.

deepdiverbc:
It sounds like low vis could be one of the factors here, making it easier to loose a buddy.

This is a common situation in summer time and a good reason to avoid more technical dives during this period unless the vis is acceptable to your comfort level. These divers may have been ok with the vis and had other problems but it is something for all of us to consider.

I know divers who considers any dive where the vis is less than about 12-15 ft to be below their comfort level and they will abort the dive. My personal comfort level at around 10 ft but it depends on the difficulty of the dive and who I am diving with.

Good advice.

Doesn't vis usually clear up the deeper you go. I have been to whytecliff where the vis in the first 30 feet is like diving in milk, you almost couldn't see your hand in front of your face. But drop down to 60+ and it was nice and clear. I'm sure there are exceptions, just wanted to see if anyone was there on the weekend and can comment.

That is quite a dive spot. It sounds like its for the more experienced diver, and even then things happen. Sorry for the apparent loss, but it makes us all more aware of our skills.

Uncle Pug:
Depth in meters. The wall isn't vertical to 600' but does end up at 600' in fairly short order.
It does get deep pretty quickly, but it levels out in the centre of the channel at a 200 m contour with depth from 200-300 m.

Does anyone know if there is there a search underway? I know there were about 50000000 people looking for the missing hiker on Grouse, not sure if the same type of search is underway at Whtecliff. Does anyone know how these type of accidents are dealt with?

I thought recreation diving is only to 130 ft max. Were they using nitrous? Were they technical divers? Didn't know whytecliff was so dangerous.

Avic, you actually don't want to use nitrox when going deep, it's used to extend dive times but not a special mix for going deep. Oxygen becomes more toxic with increased depth, thus you don't want a mix with higer O2. Tech divers that go way down use trimix (a helium blend), dives down to 150 would more likely be on regular air. 130' is the rec limit, but maybe these guys were trained beyond that. Being relatively young, maybe this wasn't the case, but it's very hard to say. No reason an 18 year old can't be a well trained tech diver.

Any dive site can be dangerous if you go beyond your limits. Whytecliff is a beginner site, that is where all the training is done. The "Cut" at Whytecliff, which is where these divers were, is around the bend and not used for training (at least not the open water classes). It's a more difficult dive as it's a wall that drops down a long way so your buoyancy needs to be better.

Back
Top Bottom