(08 SEP 04) Panic Attack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

molksmith:
So The important Part is too realize how you are feeling, do not ignore it, but also know that what your doing is something really wonderful that you enjoy. If that doesn't work then by all means take the necessary steps and stops and slowly ascend. My Buddy rule is always that anyone can cancel a dive at anytime. No questions asked.
If you get a hard time from your buddy, choose a better one next time.
It is not natural to be breathing under the water and it is part of our primal instinct to be afraid of the darkness, the cold, and the water. These are our own self-defense mechanisms that have kept us alive for thousands of years.
As Mark Twain said... "Courage is not the absence of Fear, but the mastery over it...."
This is a great post! Thank you molksmith.

Some of you may laugh if I claim that 60 deg water is 'cold', but it's cold to me! My Nitrox instructor told me that he used EAN32 on days when he knew he would be doing repetetive dives in cold water. He claimed that Nitrox breathed 'warmer' and he didn't get as cold as on tank air. I tried this theory on my last dive. It was my first dive at this location, with a new dive buddy, some unfamiliar rental gear, a pretty snug wetsuit and low viz. I was not comfortable on the dive, but at least when I had the compelling unreasonable urge to start breathing heavily (lost my dive buddy temporarily) I was getting all the O2 my brain claimed it wanted. Best extra 4 bucks I ever spent!
Cheers,
Curt

Very informative thread! I have been curious about the correlation between cooler water temp and increased breathing rate/air consumption. I hardly ever notice this brought up when questions on air consumption arise, but I have always felt that having sufficient thermal protection is an issue as being just a little chilled usually has a noticeable effect on how quickly I use up my air. Based on this I have upgraded from a 3/2 wetsuit to a 5/4, with the expectation I will be more comfortable in the water.

I have also have experienced problems related to nervousness and involuntary heavy breathing on two dives in particular. My first (and only) cold water dive was in Lago Atitlan, Guatemala. This was my 20th dive and prior to it I had only been in the warm waters of Mexico and Honduras, where I had never felt any discomfort in the water.

I felt constricted and uncomfortable wearing the hood and 7 mil suit to begin with and then the shock of jumping into the cold water set me off breathing heavily from the beginning. As we made our way down to 80 ft I experienced the feelings of anxiety mentioned above and almost called the dive off, it probably would have been best as I was so anxious and narced that I read my gauges having 500 PSI less than they indicated when asked by the DM. However, I continued the dive, althought I refused to go thru the Elephants Nose swimthrough as I felt this would create severe claustrophobia. I ended surfacing with a perforated eardrum, I imagine my breathing pattern caused this damage.

A valuable lesson learned and my understanding of this incident is improved after reading this thead. Thanks!

I think it's important to distinguish between situational anxiety and panic attacks. Panic attacks are clinical phenomena--the hallmark is a sudden, intense feeling that one is about to die. It's typically accompanied by two or more of several specific symptoms (tachycardia, sweating, choking sensation, hyperventilation, tightness in chest, etc).

Panic disorder is present when a person experiences a certain number of panic attacks in a defined time. This is a clinical diagnosis, defined in the psychiatric Diagnostic and Statistical Manual, and typically is treated with antidepressants and/or cognitive therapy.

Situational anxiety does not come out of the blue but arises in response to specfic stimuli. It may be difficult to differentiate from from panic attacks. Diagnosis is best left to a psychiatric professional.

Just about everyone experiences a panic attack at least once or twice---10% of the population suffers from the more severe panic disorder. No one should be diving when cognitively or physically impaired in any way. If you're experiencing recurrent anxiety underwater, it may be that diving is not for you. Or it may be that you have a treatable disorder that manifests underwater as well as elsewhere.

Bottom line: if in doubt, call the dive. If you're prone to anxiety, be able to manage it underwater, and avoid depths/situations that make you anxious. Let your buddy know. Avoid overhead environments.

Panic disorder is very treatable. An out-of-control ascent in response to situational fear may well result in a lethal injury.

"Be careful out there!"

Barbara/cavedivingwoman

Sounds like there's a lot of divers having cold water "symptom". When severe causing panic attacs etc.... Personally haven't had any panic attacks but noticed increased rate of breathing during the descend throw the thermocline. I'd like to suggest to all of us to take some notes about breathing/heartbeat rate and water temp. during our descends in cold water. It's worth of studying and comparing experiences of this matter. And maybe some of the "Doc's" could get in to this too.

Stirling:
the so-called "mammalian diving reflex" and alter your breathing (the reflex is actually apnea, or holding your breath)

One way to combat the issues is by getting your entire face wet before you decend. This way when water does seep in at depth your already used to it and you won't suffure from the effects. At least that's what I was taught diving in the North Atlantic.

Back
Top Bottom