1.DCS symptoms and 2. MK25/S600 and Nitrox ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sea Green Dreams

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
As I dive more (< 30 dives currently) I am wondering if I am more prone to Nitrogen loading. My whole head can tingle, not in a good way, but not on every dive. Due to the locations of most recent dives I've been doing, I have to drive up and over a hill to get home, about 700 ft. I have also experienced tingling post diving in Maui then staying in Kula (2000ft)., even after waiting 4 hrs before heading up the hill. Has anyone heard of this before?

I just bought a MK25/S600 Scubapro and am cringing at the realization it might be best if I try Nitrox. Does anyone know if I can use rec Nitrox with my current reg? It is not the Nitrox edition. It has EN250A stamped on it.

Thanks,
Huddie

What's that mean, "more prone to N2 loading"? More as you dive more often? More than other people?

The simple answer in either case is, no.
The more complicated answer is that as you gain experience you will tend to go deeper and stay longer. In that case you certainly would load more N2 on board. That's normal.

Tingling is not a usual DCS symptom. It is a normal hyperventilation symptom. Maybe you have some anxiety over diving and are over breathing after dives?

No need to cringe about Nitrox. The reg is fine as is. The only drawback to Nitrox is the class time + cost, and the ongoing cost of Nitrox. It's a good cert to have if you are going to be doing multiple dives, especially if they have any depth. Get the cert, use Nitrox, and see if the problem goes away. I seriously doubt it, but then I'm playing scubaboard diagnostician, which is worth the time it takes to read this.

Great to hear about the reg set up, damn scuba gear is expensive!

As far as the tingles, no anxiety or hyperventilation happening. It seems to be post dive elevation related. It's distinct and pronounced. I plan on logging it moving forward to try and isolate the factors.

I'll try the Nitrox and see if it helps.

Thanks!

700' is trivial. 2000' is getting there, with rapid ascent creating more pressure differential. If you've done several deep long dives some time to off gas would be prudent.

Yes, agreed. That's why I waited 4hrs before going up to 2000ft. after a multi/deeper dive day. I even had to pull over for 15 mins half way up for the tingling to subside. The effect is the same but not quite as strong at 700ft.

If someone was ascending to 2000' shortly after a dive would it help prevent DCS if the dive was planned as if it was being conducted at an altitude of 2000'?

My whole head can tingle ....

Do you feel tingling in any other part of your body, or just your head? I'm just a layperson, but in all the discussions of DCS I have read, in which "tingling" is mentioned, it's in the context of skin tingling. See paresthesia.

If you've got some sort of "tingling" sensation in your head, I suggest speaking with a dive physician. Call DAN.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom