1.DCS symptoms and 2. MK25/S600 and Nitrox ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Call DAN.

Listen to your body. But definitely look into this. You could have PFO and won't know until it is diagnosed or you get a DCS hit. Better to know before hand and take measures. Nitrox will help by reducing the amount of saturation compared to air for the same dive time. You can also use O2 at your safety stop and surface deco before your drive up the mountain. I'm setting up a stage for this right now. I'm getting conservative on deco.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll definitely call DAN tomorrow.

I seem to recall now, after doing some reading on PFO, being in a Drs office as a very young kid regarding a small hole in my heart. I've made a Drs appointment.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the feedback, I'll definitely call DAN tomorrow.

I seem to recall now, after doing some reading on PFO, being in a Drs office as a very young kid regarding a small hole in my heart. I've made a Drs appointment.

Thanks again!

It is the prudent action. Everyone starts life with a PFO, most of them close properly, some don't completely close. Even if you have a PFO you can still enjoy diving, just take more precautions with your dive times (shorter bottom times or only one dive per day) Nitrox is way better than air, and use O2 at your Safety stop and continue O2 during your surface interval. Once you realize that every dive is a decompression dive it changes your thinking. All sports divers decompress on the surface using No Deco Limit Dive Tables. Whereas planned deco dives require in water decompression stops and follow up with surface interval deco. Which dive computer are you using? There are variables between the algorithms used, some are more conservative, some are more aggressive/liberal with allowed bottom times. You may want to set yours at a more conservative setting.

Since you live in Canada, I assume you are diving cold water. Cold water is known for increased incidence of DCS.

Shotmaster - Ok, so I'll do some research but to clarify what you've said:

You recommend using Nitrox with a O2 Pony for my safety stop, then continue using O2 during my SI if I dive again, then same thing for 2nd dive, Nitrox w/ O2 safety stop.

Use O2 when done, whether it's after 1 dive or 2 or 3 ? So I'm picturing myself tethered to an O2 tank between dives like they taught in Rescue? Or is there a different set up that is more mobile?

Man this is getting complicated, not complaining, it would be worth it, just a lot to take in.

Is there a dive profile benchmark for when to implement these different stages?

Nitrox (assuming 32%):
Nitrox w/ O2 safety stop:
Nitrox w/ O2 safety plus SI with O2:

I have a Suunto Zoop Novo computer, just bought it, 8 dives logged. I will change it if I need too.

No rush to answer, I appreciate your time.

I am in cold water, yes, but it does happen to me in warm water as well.

Why are you setting up a stage like this?

You have it correct.

I'm doing this because I'm 57 and hindsight is 20/20. I did Deco dives using the old 1958 Navy dive tables for years and was very lucky. I was extremely physically fit during my military career and I'm sure that helped me avoid problems. I'm older and even though I keep fit it is not the same level. I have also learned a lot more about decompression in the last few years, enough to alarm me to make use of the best available counter measures. That includes the extra effort to use highest percentage nitrox mix for my dive, O2 stage at my stop and O2 during interval while keeping an eye on total O2 exposure. I do plan to do some extended bottom times soon and this is also part of my plan for those dives.

I have 3 computers, Galileo Luna, Sherwood Wisdom 3, and Suunto Cobra 3. The Sherwood is the most liberal. Before that I had Uwatec Alladins, very conservative. I like the Luna and will stick with it. Your Suunto is on the conservative end of the spectrum, and can get even more so by selecting different levels. I don't see a need to change that. My daughter is starting training and I am giving her the Cobra to use.

A PFO is kind of a shortcut to DCS. It is thought to be present to in about 25% of the population. I personally know active divers with a known PFO. One was a technical diver with 3000 dives before he got a hit. Another got migraines. Yet another had several hundred dives before getting skin bends.
All of them dove normally until their hit and subsequent diagnosis. All changed to Nitox, adjusted their profiles, and increased their safety stops. None went on or use O2 for Deco, but they have it handy. None have had further issues.

I suggest not getting too anxious until you work through more plausible causes. I still don't think tingling is going to translate to higher DCS probability.

IMPORTANT- Get DAN insurance if you have not yet.

Last edited:
I have 3 computers, Galileo Luna, Sherwood Wisdom 3, and Suunto Cobra 3. The Sherwood is the most liberal. Before that I had Uwatec Alladins, very conservative. I like the Luna and will stick with it. Your Suunto is on the conservative end of the spectrum, and can get even more so by selecting different levels. I don't see a need to change that. My daughter is starting training and I am giving her the Cobra to use.

Great, I went through and adjusted the settings. There are still a few things to figure out about the Suunto, but I'll get there.

I joined a local dive group here and there is a guy who has been bent twice diving within the NoDeco limits, he gave a talk about DCS at the meeting so I think I'll reach out to him as well.

Thanks for all the info and feedback, I feel better knowing there are options. Better to be safe than sorry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom