$100 to service my ATX 200 Primary WTF??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

one of the more common ways to damage it is during removal for service - the tech used a metal tool to drive it out after backing it out of the threads.

BAD BAD BAD! Don't do that! A soft plastic or wood drift has to be used, and you must make SURE its backed out of the threads (so its easy to press out) before removing it.

I haven't taken an ATXanything second apart yet, but I've seen the diagrams. From the diagrams it is not obvious what the material is.

In any event it is nearly impossible to damage it to the point of needing replacement from actual diving.

It sounds like your shop did the common thing that they do to divers - they ripped you off.

Thanks for the PM Genesis..........I could make due with my LDS, but I hate making them do what they don't really want to :)

I know they don't want to set a precedence, if word gets out. I don't blame them.

How many guys have seen a LDS admit they buggered up a part??

Uhmm None :)

I have seen several times, a few guys beating off a tank valve....with a hammer on the knob-end on the valve, and of COURSE they bend them valve stem.........guess who pays???

That's why I bleed my own tanks, and remove the valve myself.......the correct way.

Call me anal.

No one takes more care of my gear than me. As for the cleaning times, I can easily spend 1 to 1.5hrs cleaning a 1st and 2nd stage....properly and thoroughly. There's no way, for $40.00 they can take the required amount of time to do the same job and make a buck at it. SO by necessity, they either have to "hurry up" or charge more. So they hurry up, so you don't gripe more.

What are ya gonna do?

Learn, and DIY.

BTW Abyss will sell parts for their regs to any one who wants them. It's a posiden first stage and their own second stage.

We're going to give them a try.

I also will not buy a reg that I can't get parts for.

Have you seen their parts kit prices yet Mike?

$60 for a first stage parts kit? $80 for a second stage annual kit? $15 for an O-ring? $12 for a sintered-bronze inlet filter? $22 for a MOUTHPIECE?

I like the general concept of the Abyss regs, and would buy them for my own use (the Kirby-Morgan second is arguably one of the toughest, and best-built seconds available ANYWHERE, and the Posiedon firsts are fabulous and small as well) but the Abyss parts pricing structure is downright punitive.

$140 for the parts for an annual service?

They lost my business with that kind of parts pricing, which is unfortunate, as their general business model - you can buy whatever you want - is something I support.

DeepScuba,

Look for a shop that explains what they do and what/why they charge for it. A tech should have no trouble explaing his charges.

When we had a shop we replaced a couple parts that were messed up at our expense. Once in a while you get a reg thats put together so tight you'd think it was put together with concrete and it doesn't take mych to mar that soft brass. It can happen and if it does the tech should admit what happened and fix it.

FWIW, the HP crown in the ATX-200 first is replaceable (the first Apeks first stage of that type). The retail on this part is $14, so I expect that the crown that was replaced is from the first, not the second (as Genesis keeps suggesting). The retail on the second stage metal (chrome plated brass) crown is $13. Of course, LDS cost is half of that....

Because of the very tight fit on the first stage crown, you can look at it and think that it's permanently machined into the body (like the other Apeks firsts). Also, because of this tight fit it can be very difficult to get out and to get back in. Even a slight nick in the sealing edge can cause problems, so I would suspect that the tech servicing this reg damaged it and shouldn't be charging for the part regardless of warranty issues.

Thanks for all of your responses.

The reason why I took it in for servicing (I had it serviced about 9 months ago -50 dives) was because it was free flowing. Infact, when I took it in, it appeared to be freeflowing the minute I hooked it up to a tank in the shop.

I guess I need to take better care of it. I currently hose it down with fresh water after each dive. Is it better to soak the reg (2nd stage) in fresh water for a couple of hours instead of rinsing it with fresh water and then letting it dry?

Simple rinsing is not enough when diving salt water or dirty water. Contaminents inside the 1st stage will damage seals, seats, o-rings, and smooth surfaces. When this happens in the 1st stage, seals are compromised and intermediate pressure tends to increase resulting in freeflows. While there can be other causes of freeflows, contamination in the 1st stage is probably the most common once a 2nd stage has been correctly adjusted.

I rinse my first stage after each dive before I remove the 1st from the tank. At the end of a dive trip, I attach the reg to a tank and soak it under pressure, usually overnight. If the reg is going to be stored overnight for diving again the next day, I usually just rinse it and store it so it will not dry out. The problem with salt water is that when it evaporates, the salt crystalizes and can cut o-rings and other soft parts. The boat dock rinse tank is probably not much better than the ocean you just came out of, but it will get things good and wet again.

docmartin once bubbled...
if you don't want to service the reg yourself the only way to save much would be not to have it serviced every year. this seems to be a popular option.

Actually, per the lifetime warranty, the reg should be serviced every other year, with an inspection in the off years, which no parts are replaced. The annual service is done every other year at which time, the owner would not pay for the service kits or any manufacturer desginated upgrades to the reg, which happens sometimes.

btw, i was not aware that apeks parts are free for life if you buy from an authorized dealer. i know it is true for sp. for apeks some dealers may offer that (apparently like the shop LUBOLD works for) but i don't think it is common.

Actually, again, this is right from the Manufacturer's warranty that the APeks regs come with in the US. Maybe its because Aqualung is the distributor over here, but they are the ones that offer it, not individual shops.

Many people believe the warranty isnt worth anything, and would rather pay less money for the reg up front, and then pay for service kits, but with a warranty if you own the reg for ten years, it will be worth it to buy from an authorized dealer, but thats something you have to decide for yourself.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
There are aftermarket parts for some regs. I know trident sells sherwood seats and other parts. I would assume they're after market parts.

BTW Abyss will sell parts for their regs to any one who wants them. It's a posiden first stage and their own second stage.

We're going to give them a try.

I also will not buy a reg that I can't get parts for.

Mike,

Who is Trident that you are referring to for Sherwood? I just got the manuals for my regs and am just waiting on some parts to become available and to find an old one to rip into before I work on the ones I actually use.

Knavey once bubbled...

Mike,

Who is Trident that you are referring to for Sherwood? I just got the manuals for my regs and am just waiting on some parts to become available and to find an old one to rip into before I work on the ones I actually use.

Trident is a supplier for all kinds of scuba odds and ends. The bad news is that they'll only sell to shops.

Back
Top Bottom