$1000 OW course of the future

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Many of us realize that the industry is changing. Dive shops have got new competition with the advent of online merchants. I honestly feel that the LDS will never close but the function of them will change drastically. They are obviously losing profit from equipment sales but they are still the strong hold for training and the ever important "Hi, how are you doing?". Rude LDS owners will become a thing of the past for they will fail. I know that the local dive shops here are trying their best to collude to standardize prices for dives, fills, and services. This tells me that they are afraid. They know that change is coming and they are trying to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Best of luck to them but with a sour economy it comes down to the all mighty dollar. I can my gear $100 to $300 dollars cheaper online and yes, I am going to get my gear online but I need the LDS to figure out the proper fit and feel. Overall I hope the best for the LDS and hope that they can be pioneers and drive the market instead of being dragged by the market. To all LDS owners, just think and most of the time the simplest answer is the right one.

Dive4Life once bubbled...
I can (get) my gear $100 to $300 dollars cheaper online and yes, I am going to get my gear online but I need the LDS to figure out the proper fit and feel. Overall I hope the best for the LDS and hope that they can be pioneers and drive the market instead of being dragged by the market. To all LDS owners, just think and most of the time the simplest answer is the right one.

What is the LDS getting for your use of their "fit and feel" service? If you want to cut out the LDS, then order 3 or 4 of what you want in different sizes and return what you don't like / doesn't fit.

Huh? You'd have to pay extra for shipping? Well, what do you think the LDS paid to have the ones in the shop to try out?

You can't have it both ways. If you want the convinience of the LDS, then buy the things from there that require "fit" or "feel". Or rent the stuff first (again, paying for the service!).

If you don't support the LDS, you won't have anyplace to try out gear. Even if you don't need any help or advice, you'll be reduced to the "buy several and return most" model if the LDS's close down.

-Rob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom