12/6 Maui pic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
anchor_line.jpg

This photo is from my dive on 12/5 at the wreck of the "St. Anthony". My kayak anchor line is the thinner one with the yellow mesh bag on it. A Green Sea Turtle is on the sand nearby.
One of our more popular dive operators, Ed Robinsons Diving Adventures, arrives on the dive site, drops his anchor, then scopes out the line directly between my kayak and my anchor. I'll assume he/she saw my exhaust bubbles and therfore didn't anchor on me.
I consider this to be totally irresponsible. I didn't mention it to the boat captain when I surfaced because I felt it would accomplish nothing.
Maybe if I had a tug boat instead of a kayak I would get a little more consideration!

From the picture, it appears that your anchor line became tangled in a thicker line that you originally did not see when you anchored at the site. I think you would have been justified in severing the thicker line with a dive knife in order to free your line.

Then when you surface, just reply that you didn't see them, since they didn't see you.

Tying off the big guys anchor to the wreck would have been very appropriate. The only way to get loose is to dive on it or cut the line. It's great when it's a fisherman that drops his anchor near you. They have to cut the line.

I fired off an e mail to Ed Robinson's this morning with the photo. All I would like to accomplish is for them to show the same consideration towards small craft as they do for each other in the commercial dive industry.

Gilligan:
All I would like to accomplish is for them to show the same consideration towards small craft as they do for each other in the commercial dive industry.

If he's a good operator he'll take it seriously.

If he's a good operator the quote above makes sense; if he isn't (and there's at least one in every area), he'll take it as a challenge and anchor on top of you every chance he gets.

Some people are losers. I hope Ed is one of the good guys and has a word to his crew!

They are one of the good guys.
They replied to my e mail the same day with an apology and stated they would discuss the incident with the crews and show them the photo, as well as the owner. Can't ask for more than that.

Hey Jim,

Does your anchor line continue past the mesh bag? It appears to run out towards the turtle in this photo but I can't see where to. I'm assuming you were flying your flag from the kayak. I have had two close calls over the last two months where boats went screaming over the top of me even though I had my flag in tow! Both happened near this spot when I was diving at Ulua Beach. It can be scary. Not so much for myself, I hear the boat coming and stay low. It's my guests that I worry about drifting up and into the line of fire, you know? It sucks that we have a law that is easy to enforce yet never is. I think someone will have to be hit by a boat first, then eveyone will cry about it and maybe something will get done.

I'm surprised to see this happen from Ed's boat. Someone wasn't paying attention or maybe you had the "Good Spot". Not really an excuse, first come first served but you really want to pay attention to everything when it comes to diving. Were you solo this day?

A little off the subject but, nice clarity in this shot. Are you using a wide angle lens? It's very much how the dive looked to me through my Hydro-Optix mask that day. Have you tried one yet? They really rock! It's like fisheye lenses for each eyeball! Photographers really understand the benefits of this mask. I have extras if you want to check one out one of these days.

I used to work for Ed. I'm sure he will take this situation seriously and speak with his crew about it. Good job with the photo documentation. It's proof positive of what really happened out there.

See you at the shoreline!

Shaka Doug:
Hey Jim,
Does your anchor line continue past the mesh bag? It appears to run out towards the turtle in this photo but I can't see where to.
My line continues to in front of the turtle. For some reason the turtles like my bright colored mesh bag. I found one sitting on it on one of my dives.

Shaka Doug:
Were you solo this day?
Yes I was.

Shaka Doug:
A little off the subject but, nice clarity in this shot. Are you using a wide angle lens?
Yes I was.

Shaka Doug:
It's very much how the dive looked to me through my Hydro-Optix mask that day. Have you tried one yet? They really rock! It's like fisheye lenses for each eyeball! Photographers really understand the benefits of this mask. I have extras if you want to check one out one of these days.
Never tried one but I may take you up on the offer.

Hey, I need some of those tires..........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom