1st Stages on Deco/Stage Bottles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MAK52580

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all, just a question out of curiosity. As it is well-known, tech divers usually prefer DIN fittings for their tanks as they are safer. They state that the yoke adapaters if caught on something or strike something can cause the fitting to come loose. With that said, I have seen numerous photos of yoke fittings on tech divers' stage/deco bottles. Is there any particular reason for this?

some piston regs cant get a din fitting or you cant find one for em but pistons keep working if say you were to switch regs from opposing deco bottles underwater because of a failure. some will not work,,Or maybe its because they cant afford a new reg yet? Others use yoke for differing reasons

jaydee197:
some piston regs cant get a din fitting or you cant find one for em but pistons keep working if say you were to switch regs from opposing deco bottles underwater because of a failure. some will not work,,Or maybe its because they cant afford a new reg yet? Others use yoke for differing reasons
I would say that most prefer a DIN, but I know a few tech divers who have yoke simply because they haven't gathered the cash to make the switch...you know with buying $3000 scooters, $2000 drysuits, AL80s for stages, AL40s for deco, reels, spools etc etc etc.

MAK52580:
Hey all, just a question out of curiosity. As it is well-known, tech divers usually prefer DIN fittings for their tanks as they are safer. They state that the yoke adapaters if caught on something or strike something can cause the fitting to come loose. With that said, I have seen numerous photos of yoke fittings on tech divers' stage/deco bottles. Is there any particular reason for this?

really old, old photos...

and on some really old photos, you can see manifolds with a single yoke fitting too.

Some tech divers continue to use the yoke fitting on their deco bottles, do to the way the bottles are carried. Being slung under the arm and close to the body, they feel that the valve is more protected and less prone to impact.

MAK52580:

all my personal tanks have din fittings but many places you go only have small slings or even 80s as yokes, so I just carry yoke adapters so I can use by din regs on them.. if one of these fail I can still steal a back gas reg underwater for my deco bottles..

Too many people instead of converting their old regs (after upgrading to better regs) or selling them just make them their deco regs..

Too many people instead of converting their old regs (after upgrading to better regs) or selling them just make them their deco regs..[/QUOTE:
i did it for a while too but saved up some cash because switching to a low quality reg after a long dive with deco, man that sucks.

jaydee197:
i did it for a while too but saved up some cash because switching to a low quality reg after a long dive with deco, man that sucks.
in many cases the DECO is longer than the bottom time.. The deco regs should breath as easy as possible and should be confortable in the mouth...

padiscubapro:
in many cases the DECO is longer than the bottom time.. The deco regs should breath as easy as possible and should be confortable in the mouth...

i know. once i switched to an tx50 man it was nice. No longer working real hard to breathe at the end of a dive on which i worked real hard

Why NOT to use yoke

Was on a 42msw dive for about 30min notice a diver @ first stop about 27msw he turned on his deco gas or should i say he unscrewed his yoke reg :11: It droped to the ocean floor Hmm not a good thing to do.
DIN is the way :wink:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom