1st time to phillipines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cdclair

Reaction score
Hello,

I am thinking of travelling to the Philippines for the first time around October or November. I have never been there and do not know much about the country. I am thinking of starting out in the Philippines and then visiting a few other countries in Asia. From what I have read so far there seem to be a lot of good dive sites. Are there any that are a must see for someone on their first trip? Any information or recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks for the help.

Chris

Whether a ive site is "must see" really depends on what you're interested in. What types of dives do you want to do?

welcome to ppd, chris :balloon

posted by axua in barangay pasaway so you might not be able to open it unless you join that wacky world of ppd

http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=1756724&postcount=1

hope it's okay to re-post it here :D so just choose your pick, Chris :)

Diving sites place RP in world’s top 3

First posted 04:07am (Mla time) April 18, 2006
Inquirer

Editor's Note: Published on page A1 of the Apr. 18, 2006 issue of the Philippine Daily Inquirer

DIVE SPOTS in the Philippines were again given international recognition as among the world’s best at the recent 2006 Marine Diving Fair (MDF) in Tokyo, according to the Philippine Tourism Authority (PTA).

PTA General Manager Robert Dean Barbers said that although the country placed third, after Maldives and Palau, it was ahead of Thailand, Hawaii, and the South Pacific and Caribbean islands, all of which boast well-known dive sites.

“We’re very, very fortunate to be given recognition and honor,” said Barbers, who received the award in behalf of the country during rites at the MDF exhibition area in Tokyo’s Ikebukuro district on April 7.

Among the Philippine dive sites exhibited at the MDF were the Tubbattaha Reef in the Sulu Sea, which is famous for its variety and density of marine life; Malapascua in Cebu, known for its rare sharks, and Puerto Galera in Oriental Mindoro, noted for its colorful corals, strong currents and big fish.

Also featured were Balicasag Island in Bohol, Anilao in Batangas, the popular Apo Island in Negros Oriental, and the islands of Palawan.

The awards given at the fair were the result of a survey conducted by the MDF organizers, the PTA said in a statement.

Asia’s biggest diving fair

The MDF is considered Asia’s largest scuba diving and beach resort exhibition. It attracts close to 50,000 visitors.

The annual event provides a unique opportunity for exhibitors to target consumers and those from the travel and tourism industry. This year, 144 exhibitors representing 24 countries participated in the fair.

“The tourism market of the world’s diving industry is very big,” Barbers said. “Having been named among the world’s best dive sites could jump-start our moves to further develop dive resorts around the country.”

Exploring even a third of the country’s more than 7,000 islands “as potential dive sites would surely be a welcome development in our tourism industry,” he said.

Environmental awareness

Barbers, a former chair of the Philippine Commission on Sports Scuba Diving, said he hoped the award would not only encourage further investments in dive sites but also create environmental awareness to protect marine life.

The Marine Art Center in Japan, which organized the MDF, places the number of Japanese divers at one million.

Barbers said the government’s drive to bring in more foreign tourists would translate to more jobs and more investments in the tourism industry.

The participation of the Philippines in the MDF was part of the year-long series of events celebrating the 50th anniversary of Filipino-Japanese diplomatic relations.

Jerome Aning

:new_smili

Welcome to ppd
:wave-smil :wave-smil :bandsmlz: :bandsmlz:

One of the reasons I keep returning to the Philippines is having the choice of so many different places to dive. During the past couple of years I have found a few personal favorites. Including but certainly not limited to...

Apo Reef for excellent coral and 30 meter plus vis
Apo Island for very good reef health
Coron for the wreck diving
Puerto Galera for the many good dive sites

Not to mention the many excellent folks met along the way...
How long are you thinking to spend in the Philippines?

Thanks for the suggestions. I am hoping to stay for about 2 weeks but I may decide to stay longer. There seems to be so much to do from what I can see so far. Is it easy to travel to the different islands?

Traveling around the islands is easy. Going at a relaxed pace, I usually give myself a half day of travel time to get from one island to another; leaving early in the morning means I can get in an afternoon dive after I arrive.

cdclair:
I do not like to have much gear on while I am in the water.

YEAH !!!! so u on a BP/Wings ? like a lot of the PPDs :D

you will get a lot of info from this forum on the Philippines, diving and non-diving related.

ASK your question here and the guys will surely reply. just watch out for some weird replies... their part of the culture thing........

so when you arrive you won't be too much on the CULTURE SHOCK THING.

Back
Top Bottom