$2k HID lights - what is so magical about them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I currently own three can lights ... an 18W HID, a 10W fixed-focus HID, and a 12W LED ... all from Salvo. I don't think I paid $2K for all three of them combined.

Look around ... lots of folks insist on upgrading every time a new model comes out, and you can pick up an older model, perfectly usable can light for about half the cost of a new one.

Sorry to hear about your troubles with the LED light ... mine's been perfect so far. In fact, all three lights (which I let students use, so they see rather rough usage) have proven to be rugged and dependable ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

What's so magical about those f*&^%$ $1500 flashlights?

Well, you can use them to always know where your buddy is (see the light, know she's there -- i.e., passive communication) -- can't do that in green murk with a non-focused light.

You can use them to light your way in a cave -- but then my $45 led backup does that too -- just not as well nor with the amount of light to actually light up the cave.

What's so magical? They give you lots of light which can be used to make your dive easy, fun and safe.

BTW, my other sport is Dressage (riding) -- even technical diving doesn't come close to the cost of that sport.

LEDs are not up to HID standards as of yet. They are getting closer everyday but there a few years off still. While you can get an LED that is equivalent to smaller HID they lack the lumen density still.

That said, LEDs are MUCH easier to use and design around. They are easier to drive and easier to heat sink. But you still need special drive circuits for the larger LEDs. LEDs can also be turned on and off whenever you want, they are easier to dim.

It's what I wanted in the first place but talked myself out of. I should have bought it to begin with.

The most expensive gear you can get is the stuff you buy INSTEAD of what you should have gotten...

"Buy it right, or buy it twice!"

:D

Believe me, I've got my "first" dSLR, my "first" set of golf clubs, my "first" guitar, etc, etc along with my "first" BCD, my "first" can light, my "first" computer, etc gathering dust in my basement to prove the point

...What's so magical? They give you lots of light which can be used to make your dive easy, fun and safe.

BTW, my other sport is Dressage (riding) -- even technical diving doesn't come close to the cost of that sport.
Try drag racing or fine woodworking....:wink:

The most expensive gear you can get is the stuff you buy INSTEAD of what you should have gotten...
Exactly.

I'm not advocating buying cheap gear. One just needs to realize that high technology and rapid obsolescence go hand in hand.

A couple friends took me out and lent me a can light. I was so excited about all the colors and everything that I could see. I knew I needed one of these....

I bought a used can light (Salvo 21W....you can get them for under $1000 if you keep your eye out) and quickly realized that while it's nice for spotting critters and bringing the color back to depth, it is an absolutely invaluable communication tool. One flick of the light gets my buddy's attention. I honestly can't imagine not diving with my light ever again.

Buying all the "tech" gear is expensive. But if your pace yourself, it doesn't feel quite as bad. It is definitely worth buying right the first time. If you absolutely can't afford to buy a nice light, buy a nice back-up light. One of my buddies dives with a Salvo Rat back-up light as his primary, and even though it's not as bright as many of the other lights in the group, it still serves its purpose (as a communication device).

A couple friends took me out and lent me a can light. I was so excited about all the colors and everything that I could see. I knew I needed one of these....

People think I'm nuts when they hear I dive with a canister light in Hawaii, Bonaire, Curacao, Red Sea, etc...until the try it and get to SEE what I SEE.

Try drag racing or fine woodworking....:wink:

AMEN, as a reformed street er... drag racer I can tell you to build a car, budget STARTS at 45,000 and goes from there, but the thrill of an 8 second pass is almost worth the cost and heartaches of broken parts. SCUBA is way cheaper, even Tech

AMEN, as a reformed street er... drag racer I can tell you to build a car, budget STARTS at 45,000 and goes from there, but the thrill of an 8 second pass is almost worth the cost and heartaches of broken parts. SCUBA is way cheaper, even Tech

Try collecting these...

Mp_Lange1-Tourbillon_RG.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom