$2k HID lights - what is so magical about them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What's going to replace a canister light - irrespective of what kind of bulb?

Some sort of better battery setup. Time and new technologies will dictate it.:wink:

My 21w lighthead is already as large as some canisters, and larger than some non-canister HIDs and LEDs with comparable output to lower-end HIDs. As battery technology improves and lighting technology becomes more efficient, I expect the canister won't be required except for the most demanding of applications.

Technical diving is expensive. Just a fact given the small customer niche. If you can't afford the equipment new, I would look at used stuff. There are so many people who unload perfectly good gear because life happens, they upgrade, or they move on to other hobbies and priorities. If you can't afford used, either wait until you can and enjoy recreational depth diving in the meantime, or buy equipment piecemeal over time. I think that you will find that much of the equipment can also be used to just make your recreational diving much more fun. The canister lights are expensive, and I also felt as you did regarding the cost. You could buy an inexpensive used can light for much less, and just see how you like it and diving with the system. When you are ready to upgrade, you can probably resell the used light for close to what you paid for it. I have friends who actually made money on their resale. Good luck with it, and have fun diving!

Regardless of what DiveRiteExpress may be selling that bulb for, I just bought a modern 14W W-A bulb for $40, new from the manufacturer.

LED is superior in many ways, but I will be staying with HID until they come out with LED lights that you can focus the same way--I have yet to find one. I love the adjustable focus on my HID and use it constantly.

Some kind of portable fusion reactor that we will be carrying on our key chain and which will be powering our cars, lights and scooters :)

Screw that - I want a hover car! Way back when we were promised hover cars by Popular Science magazine ...

Where's my frickin' hover car!

popular_science_small.JPG

Screw that - I want a hover car! Way back when we were promised hover cars by Popular Science magazine ...

Where's my frickin' hover car!

popular_science_small.JPG

Yeah, we were promised levitation sidewalks and moon colonies under bubbles and weekends on Mars and now I cannot even leave the country without having my shoes X rayed, a rectal exam and my "papers".

I would not pay 2,000 dollars for a flashlight, sorry.

N

When you get into tech diving, it's extremely expensive.

It's even MORE expensive when you try to save money by purchasing a crappy $1,000 light, realize your mistake, sell it at a loss, and finally buy a GREAT $2,000 light.

When I'm 4,000 feet back in a cave, I won't be re-assured that I saved a lot of money by purchasing a cheap primary light.

Back
Top Bottom