3/2 Or 5/4?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pepperbelly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My LDS carries Scubapro Everflex wetsuits. From doing a lot of reading I have decided to buy one, but I am not sure which thickness.
Most of my diving will be in lakes around North Texas, although I am trying hard to get to Houston and dive a liveaboard on the Mexican Flower Garden. That would obviously be warmer, but I need to buy for what I will do most.
Lakes will get warm during summer, but it takes time and below the thermocline it gets chilly.

Will the 3/2 be warm enough?
If I go with the 5/4 will it be too warm when the lake water temps come up or I dive the reef or rigs off the coast?
One option I am thinking about is using a core warmer when in colder water under the 3/2. That will leave me the 3/2 alone when in warmer water. This should give me the most versality.

Thoughts?

I faced the same problem when I started diving. I ended up with a thinner suit and opted for a 5 mil hooded vest. Don't forget, 25% of heat loss is from your head.

I forgot to add that I am buying a hood when I get the wetsuit.

I started diving around '68 with dad, took a break from diving in the '80s and recently started again. Somehow I never bought a wetsuit. If the water was cold I just didn't dive.
I'm middle aged now and don't like being cold. Somehow at 18 cold just didn't feel as cold as it does now.

I had a 3/2 for Caribbean diving.... as in 80° to 82°. It was ok but I replaced it with a full 3 and like it better. I have no idea what the temps are where you are talking about diving, but I doubt it's that warm.

A lot will depend on your build and tolerance too. Mrs. Stoo is literally 98 pounds. She wears a 5mm with a skin under it, and often a hood... in the Caribbean. She'd be wearing a drysuit I suspect in your lakes.

I have been cold diving in my 5/4 a number of times. I was only hot once and flushing some water through the suit took care of that.

The warmest water i will probably come across would be around 80*. I could just wear trunks and a shirt if it's that warm. It worked for me in Roatan last January.
How warm is too warm for a 5/4?

How warm is always up to you. I am heading to Roatan next week and will be wearing my 5/4 cuz I am a cold water weenie.

It's all going to depend on your comfort. I have a 5mm, but I will use my 3/2 down to low 70s. If you think most of your diving will be above 70, I would go with the 3/2 and get a hooded vest. That's just my opinion

I didn't feel cool even at 80' while in a dry shirt and swim trunks. I did only have 2 dives with a surface intrrval. More dives may have made me feel cooler. I think a 5mm would feel too warm there, but I haven't worn one to know.

How much practical difference is there between a 3mm and a 5mm? Is it a big, easily noticeable difference?
How easy is it to get too warm in a 5mm?
I'm leaning toward getting the 5 but I want to be sure before I spend $300.00.

Most of my diving will be in local lakes. The surface temp will get over 70* but it does get cooler below the thermocline, sometimes much cooler.
Will a 3/2 with a hooded vest or a hood plus a core warmer give the same protection a 5/4 would?
If so that seems to gove me enough flexsbility to handle a wide range of temps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom