3-Day Open Water Certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The problem with a class that short is that it will run you through all the required skills, once or twice each. You will have minimal time to DIVE, and diving takes most people some time to learn. You aren't really a diver if you can't clear your mask without sitting down in the sand, or if you can't swim comfortably in a neutral state. I have SEEN people "get it" in one day in the pool, but they were exceptions.

As for the something for nothing. I often have to do free remediation sessions to get OW divers to the point where they can even start my Advanced level classes. Basically to give them what they would have gotten in an OW class taught to the standards of the agency I cert OW divers through.

If I don't know the person well or their instructor I usually ask them to go on a couple easy OW dives to assess their skill level (some I insist on if I know they were taught by a few instructors I do know!). And I don't charge for that since we are just diving. They supply all their own gear and fills.

It actually saves me time and them money down the road in subsequent classes.

When you finish your course, come up to North Florida and I will , for no charge, complete by NAUI standards everything your PADI zero to hero course has left out.

My niece recently surprised me by saying she had gotten certified wile she was in the air force. She had one two hour pool session and one OW dive to a total of 10 feet before getting her NAUI certification.

I recently talked a former neighbor at a wedding. She, too, had gotten certified. I offered to dive with her locally, and she said she was afraid to. She described a learning experience similar to my niece's, and said she felt she needed to take a whole new course to feel competent. She, too, is NAUI certified.

So, I offered to give both of them a PADI course to make up for their NAUI wonder courses.

I don't blame NAUI for their courses, Any imbecile can violate the standards of any agency and get away with it. I don't pretend that their aren't PADI instructors screwing up as well.

Most importantly, I don't make posts pretending that all of one agency's instructors are superior to all of another agency's instructor when they are teaching to essentially the same standards.

Wow, not even giving you ample time to read the book. Once you get your certification, find some experienced diver to dive with and then watch and learn as much as you can. You shouldn't have to pay for a guide or DM to learn what you should have to get certified.

Good luck

When you finish your course, come up to North Florida and I will , for no charge, complete by NAUI standards everything your PADI zero to hero course has left out.
I would suggest this option. If nothing else, it will get you more comfortable and confident. On top of that, you would have to be insane to pass up free training. Plus a free book from Jim?!?! Where was ScubaBoard when I was certified in 2k?

IMHO 3 days is too short... keeping in mind that there is a minimum of information and skill you need to get in and out of the water safely, but it's also not necessary to do a 6-8 week course (although it certainly can't hurt).

Do consider, however, that even with a longer duration course with a very good instructor that your diving education does not end after the course - even if you don't take anymore courses. The more you dive, especially with experienced divers, the more you will develop skills, knowledge, and experience. Don't be afraid to ask questions and do NOT be pressured into diving beyond your training level... take it slow and develop your experience gradually. Eventually you may be able to find an excellent instructor who can mentor you and also help fill in the holes in your diving knowledge and skills.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Typically the 4 open water dives are done over 2 days. It's the training that leads up to them that is ;lacking in the original poster's report. My PADI dive center REQUIRES 8 hours of pool time and that much class time as well. We offer the "book and pool portion" as an intensive 2 day, 8 hours each day weekend, or it can be done over a couple of weeks or more, depending on the course schedule. I am not certain that the original post accurately present an actual PADI sanctioned course. The reference to and "introductory confined dive" is nothing like the 5 prescribed confined water dives in the PADI open water course.
DivemasterDennis

I agree with the others that this certainly appears to be an aggressive schedule. However, there is the possibility that it could be ameliorated somewhat by not trying to do all the class and pool work on the first day. Haven’t checked recently, but PADI standards used to allow Open Water Dives 1 and 2 after completing classroom and pool sessions 1 through 3. So (for example) classroom/pool sessions 4 and 5 could be done as late as the morning of day three.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom