3 very lucky divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seansrs36:
The DM aboard can 2 of the 3 from diving anymore on the trip. What responsiblity does the boat have in that case with regards to stopping divers from diving anymore?

I agree that going into deco is no big drama if planned however....

If the trip operators have placed some safety restrictions on their dives such as 'no deco' and 'up by X time' then it’s the divers duty to obey them. Such restrictions are commonly mentioned in the wavier you sign before diving.

If it’s the operators boat, and the operators gas, and the operators gear, then they should have every right to decide who dives and who doesn't: especially if the operator believes a diver is unsafe for any reason.

However I don’t know about any legal right to ban a diver from getting back into the water after breaking the operators rules. I would be interested to hear what the legal side of such a position would be.

Cheers,
Rohan

Tassie_Rohan:
If the trip operators have placed some safety restrictions on their dives such as 'no deco' and 'up by X time' then it’s the divers duty to obey them. Such restrictions are commonly mentioned in the wavier you sign before diving.

If it’s the operators boat, and the operators gas, and the operators gear, then they should have every right to decide who dives and who doesn't: especially if the operator believes a diver is unsafe for any reason.

However I don’t know about any legal right to ban a diver from getting back into the water after breaking the operators rules. I would be interested to hear what the legal side of such a position would be.

Cheers,
Rohan
Well you already nailed it. It's in the waivers. Liveaboard diving in Thailand is like this. You sign that you'll abide by their rules and if you don't they can stop you diving. It's really simple....they just won't give you a tank!:D Of course it's then up to you if you want to swim over to another boat and see if they're a bit easier!!!:14:

Of course.....none of the operators really want to go home with a dead diver on board....

Not being a lobster hunter and diving more fresh water, where oxygen limits below the thermocline limit aquatic life...I am curious, how deep are lobsters typically, or is there such a thing as typical? I know it's a big ocean.

Jim

Kim:
Well you already nailed it. It's in the waivers. Liveaboard diving in Thailand is like this. You sign that you'll abide by their rules and if you don't they can stop you diving. It's really simple....they just won't give you a tank!:D Of course it's then up to you if you want to swim over to another boat and see if they're a bit easier!!!:14:

Of course.....none of the operators really want to go home with a dead diver on board....

True Kim - but to take the OP’s question a bit further I'm wondering about the hypothetical situation where a diver breaks the rules on the first dive, grabs a tank, gears up and heads off to the back to dive off again: in such a situation it seems that only thing the operator can do is watch them dive off and give a verbal slap on the wrist when they surface (and of course a permeant ban from diving with their operation).

You can put the gear away but you can't physically restrain them or threaten them with anything more than a ban?

Cheers,
Rohan

I dunno Tass.....seems to me that if it was MY boat and someone grabbed one of MY tanks I'd probably legally be able to stop them if they've broken their contract (the agreement) with me. Still....I'm not a lawyer and anyway laws probably vary place to place as well.

Generally speaking though, when you're in someone else's space...boat....airplane...car etc they get to dictate what you can do or not. I've certainly heard of divers in Thailand being completely stopped due to bad behaviour. In fact....they generally also make a point of telling you that if that happens you are also not entitled to any refund! :D

jonix:
looks like they were hell bent on getting those lobsters :rofl3:
Hilarious :rofl3:

I could easily see people being banned from diving off certian boats for that. BTW anyone know if its possible for someone to have there C card revoked , can Padi , Naui etc etc do that to someone if need be.

scububa:
Not being a lobster hunter and diving more fresh water, where oxygen limits below the thermocline limit aquatic life...I am curious, how deep are lobsters typically, or is there such a thing as typical? I know it's a big ocean.

Jim

Lobster can be found wherever rocky crevices are close to food. I've found tons in as little as 5'

When you sign on the dotted line (assuming the waiver and contract have the rules spelled out) it's a binding agreement. You agree to play by the rules and the operator agrees to enforce them. Keep in mind that the operator has an obligation to EVERYONE on the boat. Taking time out of a day of diving to offload a bent diver to the Coast Guard chopper could deprive other divers the chance to get underwater (but it would provide some great photos ops, I'm sure). And trust me, if a diver dies, that's the end of the trip for certain. In addition, the operator's own dive masters could be put in jeopardy during a rescue, and no operator likes to earn a reputation for bent diver incidents. In short, the operator's only trying to be fair to everyone by setting and enforcing rules.
Certainly, busting the limits on a single dive isn't the end of the world. However, to let someone who is nonchalant with the rules back in the water very well could be asking for trouble.

dbulmer:
DandyDon,

I suspect that if you took a diver with an average SAC rate they would be running out of air on an AL80 on a 130 foot dive (assuming that they had no reserve and that most of the time is based at 130 feet).

No, you need to do the calculation yourself rather than be suspicious. In actuality, a diver will require much more air to exceed the no-deco limit on a 50-70 foot dive than a deep dive to 130 feet.

This seems to be a common idea that deep dives require larger tanks or you will run outta air. However, for example, with a sac of 0.75 a diver at 66 feet would breath 2.25 cu-ft/min which is equivalent to 35.55 minutes, which is probably close to the No-deco limit.

Using the same sac at 132 feet equates to 21.33 minutes, which is much more than the no-deco limit.

This little example doesn't address ascent gas requirements or safety margins, but it is "easy" to exceed the no-deco limit for air on a single 80 if you go deep. If you stay above 50 feet, it is much "harder".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom