3 weeks in Indonesia- where to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

heidihart88

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi-
I'm planning a 3 week trip to Indonesia and would love some input. I'm mostly interested in Bali, Sulawesi and Lembeh. I'm also interested in Komodo and Raja Ampat. Any info on travelling between the areas, where to stay and where to dive would be appreciated. I'd love to do a combo of budget and higher end, no liveaboards, I get seasick :( I'm from Seattle so different is better, macro, muck, whatever.....Thanks!

hh--First do a search, scads of posts regarding your request. We did Bali last year, diving at Tulamben. Wow. You can easily access muck diving at Seraya (10 minutes by car), great diving at Amed also (maybe 30-40 minutes away) but the diving at Tulamben is great, whether you get to any other places or not. Very nice prices (we stayed at Tulamben Wreck Divers, Liberty Dive is also a solid choice). $35-45 a night for clean, quiet rooms w/ a/c at either place.

Diving at TWD was $30 a dive but included a great guide, folks to carry your tank, bc etc to the beach (we only did shore diving, no resaon for us to do otherwise). TWD included transport to Amed, Kuta or Serya for no extra $$. If you have a good guide they are beyond invaluable. The Liberty wreck at Tulamben is more like an overstocked immense aquarium than a wreck dive--it is stunning for sea life. Water was 81-82F in early December, viz well beyond what you are used to in the P.Sound area for sure!. Almost best of all, the people and culture of Bali are exceptional.

We also dove Raja onboard the Archipelago Adventurer II. A bit pricey for us but a great adventure, one we hope to repeat. I think you will find a consensus for doing Raja on a libeaboard but there are a few resorts in the region (and it is a region, not a singular destination). We will also dive Bali again. Bear in mind its a huge archipelago of islands when you say Indonesia so you will hear about lots of choices. Yipes, now I wanna go back-thanks for the reminder! (As if I needed one!) You will have a GREAT time. // ww

Since you don’t want to do a liveaboard, Lembeh and Bali are easy to do. Both areas have many choices of land based operations. The resorts in Lembeh are close to the dive sites, five to fifteen minutes in most cases. Lembeh is known for their muck and critter sites but there are some nice coral sites. Everything at Lembeh is going to be small but weird.
Bali is a wonderful island, once you get out of south Bali, it is very laid back and cheap. You can get a mix of critters and larger animal in the same trip. Tulamben has a mix of muck, wreck and coral sites. Most operators do shore diving but some offer boat diving. We stayed at Scuba Seraya last May and were very happy. Two boat dives per day plus as many shore dives at Seraya Secrets as you wanted. We had our own guide for the two of us the whole time, you decide when you want to dive and where. You can take day trips to other areas to see mantas, mola mola’s (in season), etc. Rooms are a little pricey but everything else is cheap, meals run $5 to $6.
Raja maybe an option but it is much more difficult to get to than Lembeh or Bali. Look at Sorido Bay or Missool Eco resort for upscale or Kri Eco for basic. Komodo is best done on a liveaboard in my opinion but is very good (are you sure you don’t want to do a liveaboard? Meclizine, once in your system does wonders. Just start taking it prior to getting on the boat!).
When traveling from the Seattle area, we’ve found it much easier to go through Vancouver rather than LAX or SFO. Way fly 2 ½ hours south, then fly back up the coast on your way to Asia plus on the way back you can clear US customs on arrival at Vancouver and jump on Alaska or Horizon back to Seattle.

Oh, forgot a flight suggestion that adds to Wooddivers BC suggestion. Check into China Air. Last year I found an $805. flight from SFO to Denpassar,Bali (DPS) (Vancouver, BC [YVR] connection was same $$ then). Just as good, they have one of the shorter total flight times.

Lv YVR at 00:15am, 14hrs to Taipei, 3.5 hr layover then grab a 5 hr flight to DPS. You arrive at 2:35 pm, a shuttle from the airport takes you to Tulamben. Ask the folks you book your stay with, they can arrange the ride. A couple hours driving thru great scenery gets you to your room by dusk and you dive the next morning. An easy transtion, especially if you can sleep on the long flight and stay awake after Taipei until you get to your room. Oh and try Wayan's restaurant but go upstairs (not everyone knows they have an upstairs). Very good local food, great prices and a view to rival Mt Rainier! // ww
AgungfromWayanssmcopy.jpg

View from Wayan's upstairs/Mt Agung

We dove with Gangaa divers and stayed at Lotus Bunglows Resort on Bali. It is about a 2 hour drive up to Candiasa from the airport but very scenic and pretty. Great dive operation and one of the days they take you to Tulamben.

Another option would be to fly to Ambon and try Maluku Divers Resort. Great new resort with awesome diving, food, rooms etc. ..everything was good there.
We were there in April and we are going back in one month!

Also, just came from Lembeh where we stayed at Kungkungan Bay resort. Loved it there! Great dive operation and resort and spa!!! We are also going back there next March. I would also dive Bunaken while you are in North Sulawesi.

As for Raja Ampjat, we did a liveaboard ( Paradise Dancer.) I get seasick too but had absolutely NO problems onboard that boat. Amazing diving , crew , rooms and food! Have fun on what ever you decide.

Hi there
For Bali, check out Nautilus Diving Bali ( google it) or the face book " Nautilus Diving Bali". This is a dive centre offering dive trips and safaris in Bali. The owner also provide accomodation with villas/resorts at agent rates in Bali.

They also co-ordinate trips to Komodo, Raja Ampat etc. You can contact info@nautilusdivingbali.com for more details if you are interested.

I am presently doing internship for the operation and so far the programmes and servcies have been great with positive feedbacks from clients.

Best regards -
flyriver

If you stay at Tulamben Wreck Divers check out their private villas, very nice (and quite reasonably-priced too, for what you get). I also dove with them and would recommend them for that as well

Attachments

• Tulamben villa private pool.jpg
    Tulamben villa private pool.jpg
    436.8 KB · Views: 470
I like Bali, Lembeh, Bangka, East Timor and Raja Ampat....you can easily do a combo with any of those locations....In my travels it is the best diving in the world!

Some people would be a little upset to see East Timor included, politically speaking

Like who?....have you been there?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom