!4 Days in June: Fiji or Great Barrier Reef?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JoeinLA

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello All,

My wife and I are recreational divers, and have been to Maui, Cozumel and Bonaire.

I'm trying to decide on where to go in June, and have been thinking about either the Great Barrier Reef or Fiji. I've always wanted to go to the GBR, but I think June isn't supposed to be a great time to be there, and I'm wondering if it might not be as "relaxed" as Fiji might be. Also, it seems like Fiji is a pretty great place to go diving.

FWIW, we LOVED Bonaire, and snorkeled in Bora Bora (we weren't certified divers then).

Any thoughts/recommendations?

Also, would Phuket be in the same "league" as either the GBR or Fiji?

Thanks!

Joe

I've only been to Fiji, but in November when I was there, the diving was wonderful - especially near Savusavu. Beautiful soft corals. The Fijians are wonderful people. There is a spirit there like nothing I've ever experienced.

As to Phuket - world class diving - particularly the Similans, but June is not the time to visit Phuket - it is better in Nov-April.

I haven't visited the GBR, but I'm sure you'll get some good first hand opinions here.

I vote for Fiji. Many spots at the GBR are pretty beat up. We were disappointed. Got on a boat for a few days in Fiji and was introduced to some of the most beautiful UW scenery I've ever seen. Not to mention a fantastic 20 minute personal encounter with a giant manta ray.

Hello There,
Another vote for Fiji. When I was there the diving and the people were very cool. I also have been to the GBR and enjoyed Fiji more. I dove and stayed around malololailai and it was grrreat. I also liked the shopping in Suva.

I agree with Fiji. we dove off of Kandavu and have yet to top the experience anywhere in the world .
The reefs and sealife are the healthiest I have seen.
Make sure the diving you do is in the outer Islands.
The diving we did off of the main island is good, but, nothing like the outer reefs...

Since there are some folks here that have been to Fiji! We leave for our Honeymoon May 13th for 2 weeks in Fiji. Flying into Nadi and then staying at my best man's time share on Denarau Island. It's a Worldmark TrendWest resort if anyone has been there? Diving with AquaBlue for 6 days during our time there. Usually 2 days on and 2 days off to do other things as well. Questions for the folks that have been there what was the water temp? My fiancee gets cold easily and also isn't a fan of the multitude of stinging items that float around in the big blue world. Are there specific dive sites that we should make a point of asking for? Anything that I should know speicifically? Thanks in advance!

I stayed at the WorldMark in Nadi and can tell you it's a fantastic place. The pool is awesome. We did not do any diving from that end. We hopped aboard the Aggressor for our Fiji diving experience. So I can't vouch for the diving there. Anyone??? Enjoy your stay. The Fijians are a warm, friendly and happy people and aim to please.

When I went to Fiji, we did our first week on the Tui Tai - highly recommend and did our diving near Savusavu and Tavuani (sp?). It was wonderful. Great diving.

Our second week, we stayed at the Worldmark as well and I was disappointed in it. It could be that I'm just not a time share kind of person, but I found the other resorts in the area were a lot nicer and had a lot more amenities. The restaurant at the Worldmark was mediocre. There were better bars and restaurants (and pools for that matter) at the Sheraton, the Westin and the Hilton. I highly recommend the spa at the Westin -- it was lovely. Also, if you wanting to relax by the pool at the World Mark, reserve your chaise early. And don't expect much of a beach in the area. If you want the white sand beaches, you'll need to head out to the islands.

The other think I didn't like about Worldmark was the location. It sits in what essentially is a gated community full of resorts and pvt homes. The one plus to this situation is there is a free shuttle that runs between the Worldmark and the other resorts. It's called the Bula bus. If you really want to experience Fiji, go to to the islands and get out of the Nadi area.

As for diving, I did my diving at SubSurface Watersports. I think that's name. Anyway, it was the dive op out of the Hilton. I chose it because the dive op at the WorldMark (I think it was Aqua Tek -- or the one you mentioned) didn't seem to go to the more outlying areas where I was told the better diving was -- Some good sites were Supermarket and Plantation Pinnacle. The DMs were fine but because you will be diving with people with varying degrees of experience, your dive sites and bottom time will often be determined, at least in part, on the least experienced person on the boat.

Subsurface had a deal where they gave you a price break if you did 3 days of diving with them and you could plan when you wanted to do those dives.

I would recommend a 3mm full suit. The water was pretty warm, but those who were wearing shorties were cold. On the other hand, I forgot my wet suit one day and I was fine.

I hope this helps. I don't want to be a Debbie Downer on the Worldmark, but compared to other parts of Fiji and the other resorts, I found it lacked amenities and if I was staying there for my honeymoon, I would definitely plan on some romantic meals/evenings at the other resorts. Unless, of course, you think cocktail hour at the swim up bar with a bunch of drunk Aussies and Americans with their kids running around is romantic.

Enjoy Fiji -- it is one of my favorite places.

--Sioux

Thanks guys. We are going to worldmark because we couldnt beat the price. free! :) We're the adventurous type so I imagine we'll end up wandering all over the place. I had orginally inquired with the dive shop at the worldmaek resort but I wasn't impressed with their communications so I went with this shop. They dive the mamanuca island sites and for the beginners that we are (Cozumel and Bahamas) I think that it will be just fine. We haven't had a chance to get jaded on dive sites. :wink:

I dove with a shorty most days and was fine. My wife gets cold also and definately needed a full 3mm on all dives. as the trip wore on and we did a lot of dives, I too wore a full suit.
As far as the diving: the main island was good , not great.The reefs aren't as healthy,but, the sealife was still abundant. The farther out you go, the better the diving gets. We dove off of Kandavu and saw some of the healthiest reefs and sealife we have ever encountered.
Plan on some current as the reef passes tend to move a lot of water in and out with the tides. This shouldn't be a problem if your dive op is squared away, as many of the dives turn into drift dives.
I am sure you will not be dissapointed with any of the diving or accomodations.
My wife and I went there when we were still dating and it rained for 6 days. we spent a lot of time indoors, and, came back pregnant (oops!). After our shotgun wedding and birth of our son, we never got a chance for a honeymoon. We have always cosidered that trip our honeymoon, just not in the traditional order.
Congradulations! I am sure you will leave Fiji with as many fond memories as we have.....

Back
Top Bottom