4th element artic buoyancy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StreetDoctor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm not looking for exact numbers just a good starting point for testing. Most likely I'll be just wearing the artic undergarments without a base layer with a tls350. How much weight do you guys think I'll need for just the exposure suit?

I use the xerotherm arctics under my DUI FLX 50/50 (I use patagonia capilene 3 as a base layer or underarmour shorts and tee if it's a bit warmer).

I find myself using a decent amount of extra weight to sink the arctics.

My tanks are X-130's (single/steel) and I find myself using about 16lbs (although I can go down to 14lbs. depending on my mood :D).

I hope that helps for a starting point. I do really like these undergarments! There extremely comfortable and I have no issues with flexibility or mobility.

awesome! I actually have the exact same patagonia base layers too (I use them for snowboarding) and I also dive a single X8-130. I believe the 50/50 is neoprene right? That's going to be a bit buoyant on it's own. I think I'll try 10lbs total to start and go from there. Thanks for the reply!

I use a faber hp71 tank and wear about 16lbs in a Whites Fusion with full hood n gloves with the arctic...The arctic is sweet! I have had it down to 42degrees n been fine, then up to 67 degrees this weekend n not too hot.....I love it!

A number of people in our local group gave the Arctics a shot. Consensus was they take a ton of weight to sink, and aren't nearly warm enough for repetitive dives even in the 50s.

awesome! I actually have the exact same patagonia base layers too (I use them for snowboarding) and I also dive a single X8-130. I believe the 50/50 is neoprene right? That's going to be a bit buoyant on it's own. I think I'll try 10lbs total to start and go from there. Thanks for the reply!

50/50 has neo bottoms so it takes quite a lot more to sink that than TLS. I occasionally dive single Worthington 130 (with Al plate), and use TLS, Arctics, and UA base. I use 3lbs - and I am floaty and fat!

I think you can get an idea from others but it really is going to depend on a lot of things, your body and the size of the 4th Element too (XS vs XXL gives quite a different amount of garment). The stuff is buoyant but I find not much more buoyant that lot of other stuff out there.

Thanks very much for the replies. I have 2 2lbers, 2 3lbers, and 4 5lbers. Hopefully I'll be able to figure out the weighting issue this friday. I'll be sure to post back my results =)

Thanks very much for the replies. I have 2 2lbers, 2 3lbers, and 4 5lbers. Hopefully I'll be able to figure out the weighting issue this friday. I'll be sure to post back my results =)

Bring a lot of extra weight.

My Weezle compact takes about 12 Lbs, Bare CT200 takes about 22 and the Pinnacle Merino takes about 34Lbs.

I'm guessing the 4th element is somewhere in the "Pinnacle" range. Maybe even more.

Terry

My Weezle compact takes about 12 Lbs, Bare CT200 takes about 22 and the Pinnacle Merino takes about 34Lbs.

I'm guessing the 4th element is somewhere in the "Pinnacle" range. Maybe even more.

Terry

holy coW! I certainly hope not, I could only imagine what the subzeros were then! :shakehead::shocked2::shocked2::shocked2: Looks like I might be searching for rocks lol

Terry

I wear less than my Weezle, Whites MK2 and MK3, and Pinnacle Merino, Non Merino, and Pinnacle Fleece I had(damn I have had too many undergarments)....My Arctic actually uses the least amount of weight than any undergarment I have used with my suit...Like someone else said, it all depends on your body type too, but that should be relative if your comparing undergarments

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom