4th element artic buoyancy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wear less than my Weezle, Whites MK2 and MK3, and Pinnacle Merino, Non Merino, and Pinnacle Fleece I had(damn I have had too many undergarments)....

This is the most relevant way of comparing - if one has other types of undies of course. I wish I had as many as you! (How much more buoyant are the MK3:s??)

All I know is that everyone else I've talked to has said these things are really, really buoyant.

I quit trusting "everyone" after everyone I knew swore that Diving Concepts TPS Extreme was the bee's knees, and didn't require much lead. I find mine to stay in closet because Arctics are so much better/convenient. And Arctics do not require any more lead than the TPS, so I do not know where that hype came about.

Maybe I have just dived very buoyant undies...

All I can say is that I find my arctics to be very comfortable and toasty! I also really like that they are two piece, so I can always remove the top or the bottom portion individually.

These are also the only undergarments I have ever tried (well, I did try the DUI powerstrech, but didn't care for them).

This is the most relevant way of comparing - if one has other types of undies of course. I wish I had as many as you! (How much more buoyant are the MK3:s??)

I quit trusting "everyone" after everyone I knew swore that Diving Concepts TPS Extreme was the bee's knees, and didn't require much lead. I find mine to stay in closet because Arctics are so much better/convenient. And Arctics do not require any more lead than the TPS, so I do not know where that hype came about.

Maybe I have just dived very buoyant undies...

Mk3 is about 2-6lbs extra...it all depends on how much air you put in to stay warm. The MK3 is a loft material, and for it to work, it needs air to get inbetween the loft and create layers....air means more weight....air also means more warmth :wink:

Weezle is about 4-8lbs....those things are poofy, but extremely warm!

My "closet" of undergarments is demos for the shop....gotta know everything and dive it to be able to talk about it :wink:

The 2 piece is a plus for me, Im 6'3 and always have issues in the crotch with the others, unless its too baggy on me as Im skinny.....The 2 piece design is awesome...no more crotch pinch....yet the layers overlap, so never exposed skin

I second that the arctic needs alot of weight to sink. I use it with a crushed neoprene suit (waterproof draco). It's very warm though.

I find the 4th element arctics have about the same buoyancy as the DC TPS thinsulate undergarment. I am allergic to too much weight, so I wouldn't use the arctics if they required a lot. Arctics are okay for me down to the mid-50's, but any lower than that and the exposure needs to be brief as I get cold. I am also in the tall group, and constantly looking for undergarments with torso's that are long enough not to limit movement. The two piece arctics have been wonderful. Just picked up a 4th element subxero salopette, and am anxious to see how this works out with an arctic top. In the case of the subxero, I am somewhat worried about how much lead will be needed though.

Has anyone tried the new 4th element ozone layer? I think I'll purchase that set once fall comes instead of going to the subzero now

I find the 4th element arctics have about the same buoyancy as the DC TPS thinsulate undergarment. I am allergic to too much weight, so I wouldn't use the arctics if they required a lot. Arctics are okay for me down to the mid-50's, but any lower than that and the exposure needs to be brief as I get cold. I am also in the tall group, and constantly looking for undergarments with torso's that are long enough not to limit movement. The two piece arctics have been wonderful. Just picked up a 4th element subxero salopette, and am anxious to see how this works out with an arctic top. In the case of the subxero, I am somewhat worried about how much lead will be needed though.

I would be EXTREMELY interested in hearing about your experience with the salopette. Sounds like you otherwise have same thing going as I do. If you are talking about the TPS Extreme, I use exactly same for that suit and Arctis (when wearing both top and bottom).

Were you able to fit into same size salopette as your Arctic bottoms though? I would have to get bigger size in the SubX because the material is more restrictive. This would add a lot of extra fluff... maybe me doubt.

I would like to hear how much more one might need when combining just the salopette with Arctic top. I am not planning to buy the SubX top because the sizing sucks for women with hips.

I hope people will report with the new Ozone too.

Has anyone tried the new 4th element ozone layer? I think I'll purchase that set once fall comes instead of going to the subzero now

Its a great layer with an arctic for a little more warmth or depth...it works great on the surface before you dive as a jacket on a boat

On the subxero salopette I had to go one size bigger than for the arctic bottom -- XL rather than L, for the reason that you noted about less "give" in the material. There is extra material I don't need on the lower legs and so I am going to see about getting them altered. Probably won't have the dive test results too soon.

As far as the DC undergarment, it was the straight TPS thinsulate but without stretch. I also had the TPS extreme but don't recall off hand the comparison on weighting for that. I have since sold off both of my DC undergarments as they just didn't fit right. I just keep trying options until I am happy, and the 4th element products so far have been great for me.

I would be EXTREMELY interested in hearing about your experience with the salopette. Sounds like you otherwise have same thing going as I do. If you are talking about the TPS Extreme, I use exactly same for that suit and Arctis (when wearing both top and bottom).

Were you able to fit into same size salopette as your Arctic bottoms though? I would have to get bigger size in the SubX because the material is more restrictive. This would add a lot of extra fluff... maybe me doubt.

I would like to hear how much more one might need when combining just the salopette with Arctic top. I am not planning to buy the SubX top because the sizing sucks for women with hips.

I hope people will report with the new Ozone too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom