5mm or 7mm that is the question???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lovles2274

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Ok, I have decided that I want to progress to Cave Diver. I know that many (if not most) cave divers wear drysuits but, at this time a drysuit is out of my price range. So I want some input on what thickness wetsuit to purchase.

I live in Central Florida so the diving I do is mostly warm water. Even the caves are around 72 degrees due to being spring fed. I have dove in these springs (cavern and general rec dives) in a full 3mm suit a couple of days with multiple dives each day. The 3 mm suit was adequate for warmth. I want to purchase a new suit in either 5mm or 7mm. The concern is that if the suit is too much, than I will only be able to wear it in the caves. I would like to be able to use it other times also.

Currently I have:

Full 3mm wetsuit
3mm hooded vest
3mm gloves
5mm boots

So let me know whether you would go with the 5mm or 7mm. I do understand that this is dependent on individual tolerances and activity level just to name a couple of variables. But, I would like to know opinions.

Thanks

In my opinion divers need two different suits:
a 3mm for warm salt water (tropics) and a 7mm full suit for all else (I dove mine - hooded 7mm semi-dry full suit in Jupiter a few weeks back and was glad I had it). To me 5mm is too little for multiple dives at depth in the springs/caves (might be ok for the shallow open water spring dives and river, but not for caves) and if you head to the coast in the winter months you will be glad for a 7mm at depth.

I'm with him. I dive a 5mm for most shallow stuff down to about 55 degrees. These dives are all less than an hour long, little down time and no deco. The P-stops get rather cold at the end though. I did my cave training the top of a 7mm john and while I was fine for most of the dives, when we got to the end after one dive totaling two and a half hours, I called it quits and threw my drysuit on. A 7mm full suit would have been ideal. If I were doing the wetsuit thing all over I'd get a 7mm and a 3/5 hooded vest and be done with it for 90% of the wet diving I'd do. The rest, a 3mm shorty or something is just fine to keep fish from biting at things and keep the jellies away. I have a great cold tolerance, and am usually acclimated to diving in sub 50* water, but for the real long dives, a 7mm or a drysuit is a godsend

I think 7mm is pretty heavy for 72 degree water, unless you're one of those that gets especially cold. Better to go with 5mm and 2mm or 3mm vest, just in case. Either the suit or vest [which I see you have] should have an attached hood.

7mm is normally too heavy in 72*, but in a cave situation where there is no ambient sunlight, no thermoclines, and you are doing longer dives at a more relaxed rate, a 5mm gets awfully thin awfully quick.

I have been pretty comfortable diving my 7 mm suit in 72 degree water, but I do get colde easily.

I would agree with with what the others have said, just adding my experience. Normally a 7mm would be too thick for 72 degree water but if you are doing cave training where you will be in the water all day with dives upwards of two hours with frequent stops even the 7mm will get cold. Ideally it would be nice to have both a 3mm and a 7mm. I went from cavern to full cave in a one piece 7mm (added a hooded vest starting with apprentice) and now I dive a drysuit!

7mm is normally too heavy in 72*, but in a cave situation where there is no ambient sunlight, no thermoclines, and you are doing longer dives at a more relaxed rate, a 5mm gets awfully thin awfully quick.

I was wondering about the 5mm with the 3mm hooded vest. That would give me 8mm on my torso and 5mm on my limbs. I probably won't be doing any cave diving for a while. I have to work on getting all my classes. Just planning ahead. With the cost of classes, BCD, lights, tanks and regulator (just to name a few) a drysuit just isn't in the cards right now.

7mm!
If you get too hot just let some water in from the neck and you'll be fine.
If you get cold with a 5mm there isn't much you can do except regret you didn't get a 7mm

Actually, your idea of combining the hooded vest and a 5mm suit will probably work well. When cave diving wet, I use a 5/4 Bare Velocity and a 5mm Tilos hooded vest. You will need a hood for caves, and using the hooded vest gives you that extra insulation around the torso without bulking up your legs which typically don't need as much insulation. My 7mm Artic is a little too warm and restrictive for caves. I'm fairly cold tolerant.

When you get to doing longer cave dives, you'll probably end up in a drysuit.

John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom