5mm or 7mm....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What we're talking about is material, there's not much to show.

Neoprene is made in sheets and then various materials are bonded to one or both sides. Stretchy material such as Lycra all the way to heavy material like Kevlar. Nylon is most common and the most common wetsuit material has nylon bonded to both sides.

All neoprene is not created equal, there are two processes, gas blown (nitrogen) and chemical blown. The gas blown material is warmer, less compressible, and lasts longer; but it tend to be more expensive. The very best neoprene is made by an American company Rubatex and has the designation GN-231 or GN-231N. Most any material can be used to make most any suit.

If no material is bonded to the neoprene you wind up with very elastic suit that can be tightly fitted and that does not let much water in at all. If you add Lycra to the outside you compromise the fit just a little, but then the material may be glued and sewn and does not require as much care or routine repair. Another advantage of no bonded material is that then the outside of the suit dries almost instantly, and you don't get cold on the deck. Lycra does not hold much water and also dries quickly lessening evaporative cooling ... nylon sucks ... it holds a lot of water and you can get quite chilled after a dive, even on a fairly warm day.

If I were you I get a custom suit from a local supplier that can measure you up. Second best would be a custom house that you'd send your measurements to. In etiher case I'd only get a suit made from GN-231 and I'd try real hard to get skin in, Lycra out.

Wetwear has a good repuation, but there are many others.

The problem with 7mm is it always takes lots of lead, even when the temp is in the low 70s. I chose a quality 5mm but it is not enough when temps are below 60 and any depth is involved. In fact, 65 degrees and 100ft gets pretty cold after 1 or 2 dives. So if is colder, deeper, or 3+ dives, I add a hooded 5/3mm hooded vest. And when I still need a bit more I resort to a thermos of warm water down the front and chemical heaters to get me through dive that may even drop below 50 degrees.

I've seen a 7mm 2-piece that took over 30 lb of lead to sink it. That's time to seriously start thinking about a dry suit.

The 3/8" (7mm) suit I talk about in the link back in Post #6 took 36 lbs.

Ok, you guys have all been very helpful and i think have my wetsuit narrowed down to two pinnacle choices. I'm looking at either the Cruiser 7 or the Elastiprene. Like i said, i am kind of on a budget so i would prefer the cruiser since it is cheaper but still sturdy. If the elastiprene is worth it, on the other hand, i don't think i would mind too much on shelling out some extra cash. Any thoughts?

Vlane:

Where are you located in Arkansas..? I too am a new diver, and am in Jonesboro.

-Tim

I live on other side of state in Rogers. I've got family in Jonesboro but unfortunately don't make it that way very often.

If you are on a budget you can consider used too, I have 2 Harveys Matrix 7mm semi dry wetsuits availible for sale, they are almost mint, never been peed in and super warm. I dive in Canada so I do know cold. They have been in the closet not getting used since we went dry.
XL Harveys mens fit me at 6 foot1 and 185 lbs
XL Harveys womans fit her at 5foot 11 150 LBS
$100 US each + shipping cost
any interest? PM me

I probably spend more time over in your area than I do around here, because that's where the good roads are.

I live for hitting the twisties w/ my motorcycle! :wink:

-Tim

If you are on a budget you can consider used too, I have 2 Harveys Matrix 7mm semi dry wetsuits availible for sale, they are almost mint, never been peed in and super warm. I dive in Canada so I do know cold. They have been in the closet not getting used since we went dry.
XL Harveys mens fit me at 6 foot1 and 185 lbs
XL Harveys womans fit her at 5foot 11 150 LBS
$100 US each + shipping cost
any interest? PM me

Thanks for the offer but i'd need a small or maybe even x-small. I'm a small guy haha.

TGreene if you're ever in the area let me know. I haven't been out yet but all my gear is starting to come together so hoping to be out in the next month or so at the most.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom