(6/19/05) Diver missing off Bald Head Island, NC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc I am also assuming you mean an EPIRB (locator beacon)of some sort, a GPS is worthless, you will know where you are at but no one else would. A beacon is best but as an alternative, I would suggest a small waterproof marine band handheld radio. These are pretty small and inexpenive these days and a search aircraft could hear one for 30+ miles. A HT and a GPS would be perfect- you could tell them where you were but between the 2, a HT is much better choice. I need to get one for my boat ditch kit.

herman:
Doc I am also assuming you mean an EPIRB (locator beacon)of some sort, a GPS is worthless, you will know where you are at but no one else would. A beacon is best but as an alternative, I would suggest a small waterproof marine band handheld radio. These are pretty small and inexpenive these days and a search aircraft could hear one for 30+ miles. A HT and a GPS would be perfect- you could tell them where you were but between the 2, a HT is much better choice. I need to get one for my boat ditch kit.
Doc is celebrating Fathers Day with a blender full of Midori Mango Madness...when the little umbrellas keep poking me in the eye I know I've had enough.

Of course I meant EPIRB locator beacons. Here are some examples:
http://www.comfortchannel.com/level.itml/icOid/4045

That said, you'll notice that some of them transmit GPS coordinates and some do not.

According to manufacturers, the products that have the EPIRB signal transmit GPS coordinates are more effective because the searchers have a smaller area to search. The signals without the GPS coordinates yield a larger area to search, thus requiring more time to find your drifting butt.

All else being equal, if I can find one that will fit in my tube (that I can afford) I'd rather purchase the EPIRB that transmits GPS coordinates than one that doesn't.

But they all seem to be pretty proud of their products...and they price them accordingly...

[And Herman, I don't want them to TALK to me, I want them to come GET me! :D If I had them on the radio, I couldn't tell them "...hotter...hotter...NO! colder...colder..." or "turn left at the next navigational beacon!" So, while if I had a radio I could carry on conversations like (THEM) "Where are you?" (DOC) "In the ocean, dammit,...come get me!", I suspect it would wind up frustrating both of us! :) ]

Looks like a pricey Web site.

If I wanted a submersible handheld, one that you then stuff in a save-a-butt tube for diving, I'd probably buy a standard horizon HX370S -- compact, submersible, built-in strobe, only about $160.
http://www.vitmarine.com/std-hx370s.html

As to radio utility -- RDFs (radio direction finders) work pretty well to get close -- safety sausage during the day, strobe at night, for the visual.

Kriterian:
To the other poster talking about a spotter on the boat and all the other tips: Was is it just me or did it sound like they were ALL diving and the boat was empty? They mentioned 3 people diving, one of which was the captain, and that was it.

I don't know if that is what happened in this case. I do know that on some dive trips that are on private boats, but not charter boats, sometimes everyone will be in the water at the same with one or more anchors securing the boat, without a spotter on the boat. However, this is not recommended, and I don't recommend it.

I don't wish to speculate, I only hope the lost diver is OK and is found soon.

Doc Intrepid:
[And Herman, I don't want them to TALK to me, I want them to come GET me! :D If I had them on the radio, I couldn't tell them "...hotter...hotter...NO! colder...colder..." or "turn left at the next navigational beacon!" So, while if I had a radio I could carry on conversations like (THEM) "Where are you?" (DOC) "In the ocean, dammit,...come get me!", I suspect it would wind up frustrating both of us! :) ]

You forget Doc, radio direction finding (RDF) is much older than GPS and the equipment is still on board, been on many a radio fox hunt over the years. It quite effective and easy to use. :)

This is a local diver we know down here. There are a few stories flying around down here but I'll post a current incedent report in the morning once things get cleared up. One thing I can say is don't leave your boat unattended while you dive. Please pray for a safe out come for the missing diver and his family.

Pat

herman:
You forget Doc, radio direction finding (RDF) is much older than GPS and the equipment is still on board, been on many a radio fox hunt over the years. It quite effective and easy to use. :)
You are quite right, Herman, and I stand corrected!

(I guess I really COULD tell the aircraft "...hotter....hotter,...really hot...NOOOO, colder colder colder..."! :D )

flounderer:
This is a local diver we know down here. There are a few stories flying around down here but I'll post a current incedent report in the morning once things get cleared up. One thing I can say is don't leave your boat unattended while you dive. Please pray for a safe out come for the missing diver and his family.
Pat,

Greg Mickey is in our prayers, and we hope he will be found by the searchers. Please keep us informed as to progress in the case.

Doc

Doc Intrepid:
Pat,

Greg Mickey is in our prayers, and we hope he will be found by the searchers. Please keep us informed as to progress in the case.

Doc

The Wilmington Star News has a pretty accurate story from what I've heard so far. Three divers went down and left the boat unattended. They surfaced away from the boat and one diver took his gear off and was able to make it back to the boat. When he got there he could still see both divers. One of them took there gear off in an attempt to swim back also but could not make it. By the time the boat got underway both divers were missing. After reporting the divers missing a 1pm the CG found one at 9pm because of his flashlight. There are a couple stories flying around the docks here that I can't really confirm them yet. The tower is well known for it's strong currents and I've seen many people get swept away from the boat but there was someone on the surface to go get them. It just shocks me that some divers still leave boats unattended when they dive. The CG started the search back up this morning so lets hope for good results.

Pat

Searchers seeking diver missing off of Bald Head

By Veronica Gonzalez
Staff Writer

A 42-year-old man has been rescued but another man remained missing Sunday after both went diving in the ocean Saturday about 30 miles southeast of Bald Head Island.

A strong current going the opposite direction of their boat prevented the two Wilmington residents from returning to the boat, said Andy Greenwood, public affairs officer for the Coast Guard Group Fort Macon. A third man surfaced near the 33-foot boat they were using and radioed for help about 1 p.m. when his two friends disappeared.

The Coast Guard rescued Wilmington resident Andy Illobre about seven-and-a-half hours after Cobern Peterson reported him missing Saturday. A turboprop C-130 aircraft spotted Mr. Illobre waving a flashlight as dusk set in.

However, the Coast Guard was still searching for Greg Mickey on with various rescue units including a 110-foot patrol boat, a Jayhawk helicopter and the C-130, Mr. Greenwood said.

"We are continuing our search efforts with every available asset," he said. "We’re sparing no resource in the search to find him."

The men were diving in 120 feet of water with a current that varied between half a knot to two knots.

They were about 5 miles northeast of Frying Pan Towers, an old lighthouse.

The Coast Guard suspended its efforts at night, but expected to resume searching early this morning.

They believe Mr. Mickey took off his equipment to swim faster, and his wet suit should help keep him afloat, Mr. Greenwood said.

His equipment has not been spotted.

Mr. Peterson spotted Mr. Mickey in the water once he got on the boat, but by the time he tried to maneuver it, the diver was gone.

When Mr. Illobre was rescued, "it was right before sunset," Mr. Greenwood said. "I think it was because there was enough light difference that they could see him and see the light he was using. We don’t know that Mr. Mickey has any way to signal."

Once the plane spotted Mr. Illobre, they dropped a raft for him until the helicopter could pick him up.

Mr. Illobre, who was wearing a wet suit, was treated and released at New Hanover Regional Medical Center.

By Sunday, he was back in the ocean, searching for Mr. Mickey.

Back
Top Bottom