(6/19/05) Diver missing off Bald Head Island, NC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

http://www.wral.com/apncnews/4632605/detail.html

Coast Guard Suspends Search For Missing N.C Diver

POSTED: 11:38 pm EDT June 20, 2005
UPDATED: 11:38 pm EDT June 20, 2005

ATLANTIC BEACH, N.C. -- The U.S. Coast Guard on Monday suspended its search of the ocean off Bald Head Island Monday for a diver who didn't return to his boat this weekend.

Crews aboard a 110-foot patrol boat, a helicopter, and a C-130 Hercules plane returned at first light Monday to scour the waters, Coast Guard Ensign Andrew Greenwood said. But late Monday, the Coast Guard suspended its search for Greg Mickey, 42, owner of the 33-foot boat off which three Wilmington men had been diving on Saturday.

One man, Colvin Peterson, climbed safely back aboard and thought he saw a second man swimming to the boat through the choppy water, Greenwood said. By the time Peterson was able to get his dive gear off and try to help his friend, he couldn't see the man any more.

At that point, Peterson called for help, Greenwood said.

A diving companion was rescued unharmed Saturday night. Crews located Andy Alabrio about 30 miles southeast of Bald Head Island at about 9 p.m. One helicopter dropped a life raft to him, and another hoisted him to safety.

He was examined at a local hospital, but was not admitted, Greenwood said.

Greenwood said the water was rough, with five- to six-foot swells, when the men went missing.

A number of private boats, including one piloted by Peterson, braved choppy seas Sunday to assist the Coast Guard in its search for Mickey.

On Monday, one of Mickey's two college-age sons and some friends accompanied Mike Merritt on his Wrightsville Beach-based 42-foot vessel Reel Action out to the search area.

"It is kind of rough today, like it was yesterday," Merritt said. "I want to help out. The more boats that are out, the more chance there is of finding him."

These divers seperated while turning second and last dive. All three seperated, two were making free ascents because they lost the anchor line. The one who made it back to the boat cut the anchor line and left the scene. Yeah, thats right the good Dr. left the scene. Mickey was reported by the other diver in the water as being only 25 yards from the boat. Also the third diver rescued about nine hours later was reported by the USCG to be within a 1/4 mile of the dive site so that contradicts the strong current reported in the media.

Also the Dr. who drove the boat back to port waited about 5 hours to call the USCG. Image what might have been if the USCG could have been on the scene five hours earlier with about four more hours of daylight.

The diver rescued had a light and the USCG saw that around 8:30 that evening.

When I dive off NC I always carry two lights, a bright orange lift bag and flares. If I loose the anchor line I can use a safety spool to tie off to something on the bottom, shoot the bag and have an ascent line and something for visibility on surface. Plus I wont drift away. I would hope my buddies would not wait almost five hours to call the Coast Guard, (my wife might, but not my buds)

The full report from the USCG, Elizabeth City NC is public record. Sad read...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom