7 ft hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drglnc:
I have heard of divers using a 7ft hose instead of the standerd reg hose. What is the purpose and is it recommended?
It's not the length of the hose that matters, but rather the motion of the ocean :)

reasons for the long hose off the top of my head:

- no regs drag in the sand with a long hose + necklace config
- freeflowing regs are more likely to be noticed with long hose + necklace config
- long hose coming loose from mouth will be noticed, bungee will not come loose from around neck -- avoiding the problem with octos coming lose from their holder
- long hose gives a lot of room to deal with buoyancy issues or other problems during the OOA
- recovering from primary reg getting kicked out of mouth by going to backup is easy
- long hose OOA procedures always presents a correctly oriented reg to OOA victim
- there is no time wasted in OOA searching for regs
- getting mugged for the reg in your mouth by an OOA diver more easily turns into an adequate air-share.
- long hose helps with OOAs in restrictions and swim-throughs

Yes, but you can't make butter with a toothpick :D

kent_1848:
It's not the length of the hose that matters, but rather the motion of the ocean :)

Dan Gibson:
Yes, but you can't make butter with a toothpick :D
True, but who really needs 7 FEET!

There are other aspects to keep in mind with the long hose as well. For example, you never want to use a long hose and a snorkel at the same time, since the hose can get caught on the snorkel. If you do wear them both and have to donate your primary reg to someone, you just may find your snorkel (and mask) has been donated as well.

Something else to keep in mind is to practice the situation and get used to your new equipment - don't just switch to the long hose and go diving. I was in my DIR-F class this weekend, and some of the hose-knots developed during air-share drills were impressive. I'd like to say it was all the other students, but I succeeded in creating a hose-turban at one point, which was rather embarrassing during the video playback on the WIDE SCREEN TV the restaurant had available. :11:

Does anyone know where I could find schematics of the 7' hose routing? It seems I'm having a hard time getting my head around it...

abitton:
Does anyone know where I could find schematics of the 7' hose routing? It seems I'm having a hard time getting my head around it...

This:

diverfrontlight.jpg

NOT this:

0904octopus01.jpg

Back
Top Bottom