75 ft out of air, What do YOU do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here I thought I knew what DIR was... now it's a training agency? Who, exactly, is teaching this is their OW courses?
Rick

Don

I believe the KISS principle should be applied in emergency situations. This allows the diver to react to the situation based on a simple practiced procedure. It dosn't get much simpler than look up,reach up ,swim up,exhale cont.
If DIR as a training agency(?) is teaching different, so be it. They have always been a strong proponent of simplicity in gear configuration, to instruct entry level divers this method of handling an OOA,LOA situation would apparently contrevene their normal approach.
I agree that some divers should not be certified, some pilots not licenced to fly,some ship captains not have their ticket and so on and so forth but they passed the required standard. I'll put myself out for a thrashing here, but could the problem be systemic in that once certified, certified for life. But I think that would be for another discussion.

Safe Diving,
John

I was shown something I had heard before but doing it was proof. As everyone knows DON'T TRY THIS unless you are properly trained...At 75 feet I purged my tank dry...after unable to draw another breath of air my buddy and I started a slow ascent. At 65 feet I stoped and took two more breaths of air, from what was a empty tank then we did this up until I was at 15 feet. I was able to get 3 breaths of air there and went on to the surface. After getting out of the water I had enough air in the tank to inflate my BC. Of course this was done with a controled enviroment and we did a Vis. inspection of the tank afterwards. I know this is not a safe practice but in an event of running a tank dry or empty a diver should know that on ascent there will be air to breath. I guess now I ask WHY not teach this method? I was able to breath a total of 20 breaths of air from a tank that was empty at 75 feet. Still able to do a really slow ascent. Does anyone have any comments?
Thanks, J.P.

Wow, what a great pool of info on this subject. Thanks to you all. I had asked (on another website) for specific onfo about available tank air on ascent and possible BCD use. I never received anything other than 'maybe' and 'I think' answers. Again thanks to you all.

I have also done the empty tank trial. However, this was in a 8' pool with 1965 vintage equipment. I recall getting 4 - 5 breathes in 8' of ascent.

Regards,

..........what Rick described in the very first response to your post.

This method is taught by most instructors, if it was left out of your OW class, you have a legitimate complaint.

Walter

Rick gives a good answer and lots of good follow-up by others. Just remember though, outside of entrapment or massive equipment failure there is NO EXCUSE for anyone to EVER run out of air nowadays!
Norm

Yes, the method and excersise that J.P. mentioned is taught, but it's taught as a simulated out of air emergency. The instructor in a controlled environment will turn off the air, keeping his/her hand on the wheel, the student breaths normally while watching his/her cylinder gauge, once the last breath is taken, the student gives the out of air signal, and requests an air share... or a variation is to do an ascent, but the point is that the whole thing is done under a controlled environment. The student has access to air if needed. The instructor is there should there be any complications.

Mario :D

Hey, anyone ever think about diving with a Spare Air? If your in the habit of not paying attention to your air supply or you have an equipment failure, they come in handy.

JP, you going to tell us about something new you have to solve this problem? Another $100,000 challenge?

......for bridge workers and helicopter pilots. I wouldn't recommend them for divers. Get a pony bottle instead.

Walter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom