750 pound Mako gaffed and killed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So let me get this straight, you started this little pissing match with a personal attack and that was o.k., but my pointing out that you made one of the most idiotic comparisons possible is not o.k., got it.

However, I do believe in positive reinforcement so congratulations on running spellcheck, you may now wish to download windbag check.
Obviously you don't get it. I can't make the analogy any clearer

Uh-oh, now I'm in trouble....
Not at all. I was looking for some insight into why you stopped being mildly funny and instead just started being a jerk. I have no idea, but it's kind of sad and I'm sorry - it must be hard to be you.

I can make the connection. In a better world, we would stop all commercial fishing in the seas and only allow sport fishing....the same as we do on land. No land animals are commercially hunted as it would not be sustainable. Managed sport hunting has brought back numbers of many species. (Deer, as an example were rare when I was a kid in Ohio...now they're like rabbits).

In the meantime before we DO ban all commercial fishing, we don't have to stop all sport fishing.
Well...no. Doing that would be like stopping cattle ranching. What we do need to do is ensure that commercial harvests are sustainable and focus on techniques and techologies that eliminate or at least greatly reduce by-catch.

Toward the end of 1800's and in the early 1900's in the US deer populations were extremely low due to totally unregulated subsistence hunting. Today numbers are actually much higher, but habitat is limited, so hunting is used to keep the population at manageable levels. If habitat were not limited (never going to happen) and deer, antelope or elk populations were at risk of over population, commerical hunting would be a viable option if sport hunting was not sufficient.

The interesting thing about deer is that they are adapting very effectively to suburban environments that are not real ammenable to hunting.

Obviously you don't get it. I can't make the analogy any clearer

Do I get the analogy? Yes. Does that make the analogy any less ridiculous? Absolutely not.

Not at all. I was looking for some insight into why you stopped being mildly funny and instead just started being a jerk. I have no idea, but it's kind of sad and I'm sorry - it must be hard to be you.

How about we compromise and call me a mildly funny jerk? As for it being hard to be me, I'd say I have a pretty awesome life, thanks for your concern. I await your next personal attack filled, childish outburst, it has gone from mildly pathetic to downright entertaining.:popcorn:

:hmmm:

To all of this I would like to add:

funny-dog-pictures-stupid-magnitude.jpg

You're getting a lot of mileage out of that picture today Steve.... (of course lots of "stupid" out there today. )

I like to think that stupid people everywhere will appreciate it's relevance to them :D

Stop all commercial fishing? What basis do you have for this statement? I work for NMFS and most commercial fisheries are rebounding very strongly from the damage done in 70's and 80's. NMFS has put serious restrictions on commercial fishing to the point that the fleet is half of what it was 20 years ago. You aren't going to stop commercial fishing so why make the US stop it and have to import all frozen seafood from other countries? A lot of those countries kill and consume many endangered animals. So you want to stop commercial fishing in America where it is regulated and protected species are protected for the most part. What an ignorant comment. Really commercial hunting, lol, sounds like a great idea. BTW sporties do plenty of damage too so don't think that they don't contribute to the problems.

Who said only in the US? I didn't. I mean worldwide.
And we CAN stop commercial fishing, just like we've almost stopped commercial shrimp trawling, (except for the Gulf trawlers who got subsidized a few years ago because they couldn't compete with imported, farmed shrimp)....by producing farmed shrimp cheaper than we can trawl for it.

But you're right to a point. We can't even stop whaling. But as I said, "in a better world".

No land animals are commercially hunted as it would not be sustainable. Managed sport hunting has brought back numbers of many species. (Deer, as an example were rare when I was a kid in Ohio...now they're like rabbits).

Yeah.... those cows are real elusive creatures... I had to sit in my stand covered in bovine urine for hours the other day before one came along....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom