8 Divers missing Taiwan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My prayers go out to them. I hope they stuck together. Easier to be found and also, keep each other's spirits up.

After something similar happened at Peleliu Corner in Palua in the early '90s I put together safety kits for my wife and myself consisting of:

- Dive Alert
- Storm whistle (clipped to BC)
- 6' safety sausage
- signal mirror
- signal strobe (w/18 hour life)
- 12-15' length of nylon line with carabiners at each end so the we can clip ourselves (and others if there are any) together. The larger group of people you have together in group the better chance you have of being spotted.

The safety sausage, signal mirror, signal strobe, and line all fit in a small mesh bag that goes in our BC pocket.

What kind of strobe do you have?

8 divers still missing. The boat/captain that I use normally is part of the search team upon request by the Taiwan coast guard. On the boat assisting in the search is my business partner. If I hear any news today in between my scheduled dives I will try to post something.

After something similar happened at Peleliu Corner in Palua in the early '90s I put together safety kits for my wife and myself consisting of:

- Dive Alert
- Storm whistle (clipped to BC)
- 6' safety sausage
- signal mirror
- signal strobe (w/18 hour life)
- 12-15' length of nylon line with carabiners at each end so the we can clip ourselves (and others if there are any) together. The larger group of people you have together in group the better chance you have of being spotted.

The safety sausage, signal mirror, signal strobe, and line all fit in a small mesh bag that goes in our BC pocket.

That whole story was bad news right from the beginning. The guy who dropped them off was brand new and after dropping them he left the site. When he came back and couldn't find them after searching for severals hours, only then did he report it. One of the women left some notes on her wrist slate before she died. Some of the bodies were recovered when a C-130 out of Guam finally spotted them. Very sad.

Update: 4 divers were found (alive) last night/early morning. Currently still have 4 divers missing. The boat/captain that I use normally is part of the search team upon request by the Taiwan coast guard. On the boat assisting in the search is my business partner. If I hear any news today in between my scheduled dives I will try to post something.

Thanks for the update. I hope there is more good news later but at least now they can narrow down the search area I would think.

Any idea who was rescued so far? I know the 44 year old female that was lost on that dive, and we are anxiously awaiting information about her.

Crap....I hate misinformation. The four people reported found was part of the original 12. So there is still 8 people missing. 5 of 8 missing are instructors and one of them is from the dive shop.

Do you know what the nationalities of the 8 divers are?

Back
Top Bottom