8 tracks...cassettes.....records.......next masks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It makes me claustrophobic and itchy.

I served in the military and to me it just reminds me of donning the good ol' M40.

FR_M40B__08944.1406205563.380.380.jpg

FFM aren't really compatible for shore diving or any kind of diving requiring a long surface swim -- which is most of the diving around Northern California, and I imagine many other locales. So there will always be a market for plain old masks.

Personally, I don't value the benefits as much as the drawbacks and would likely stick with a plain old mask even if all my diving was off a boat.

I am curious as to why you believe a FFM is not compatible for shore diving or long surface swims? I have seen many divers wearing FFMs heading out to dive Shaw's Cove. Plus after watching the video of a Mod-1, seems to me like I would just pop off the pod and breath the surface air.

Chavodel8en – I agree from a far about shore diving and full face masks, but over the years I have seen a few full face mask divers surface swimming with their full face masks resting on the their chest - - ,but as PunkabillyTurk pointed out (good observation to the thread) one option would be to use the Kirby Morgan Modular System and simply “pop off the pod and breath the surface air” or grab a snorkel go face down kick out to the site as you would with a half mask and snorkel?
LBPD_surface swim_bpm.JPG

Dive gear is personal, but I always try to remember there is a lot of options out there to choose from.
Here is good vis and calm seas!!!

I am curious as to why you believe a FFM is not compatible for shore diving or long surface swims? I have seen many divers wearing FFMs heading out to dive Shaw's Cove. Plus after watching the video of a Mod-1, seems to me like I would just pop off the pod and breath the surface air.

Newer FFM diver but a long time shore diver here with a few observations.

The more common FFM design is with a built in regulator. Difficult to stick in a snorkel and removing the FFM entirely makes for an uncomfortable surface swim/surf entry without a mask.

The removable pod designed masks would be suitable for a surface swim and shore diving. I'd still prefer my regular mask as it's less likely to get washed off my face.

Regards,
Cameron

If the KM gets washed off your face you have bigger problems than choice of mask....

There is NO way a regular mask will hold on better than the KM. it's like you have a normal mask but added an extra chinstrap. And 2 more mask straps at the back as well.

If the KM gets washed off your face you have bigger problems than choice of mask....

There is NO way a regular mask will hold on better than the KM. it's like you have a normal mask but added an extra chinstrap. And 2 more mask straps at the back as well.

Good point. I have my FFM external to my hood and when I'm diving a standard mask it's under my hood. Probably just psychologically feeling it's more secure.

Thanks for the correction.

No worries. You can also wear the KM under your hood since you never need to remove it during the dive.

Just got back from a day of diving CCR with mine and it's still the best dive buy I've made in a looong time.

That being said, FFM aren't everyone's cup of tea, as to the OP I think the mask is here to stay but FFM are going to be a lot less of a rarity on your dive trips.

I could see myself buying one of these in the not too distant future.

The three selling points for me are no fogging, mask clearing using backgas, and exposure protection on the face.

As for these being the future of diving, I just can't see it. Too expensive, complicated, and visually intimidating for your average first time OW or Discover Scuba diver, and most vacation divers don't seem to deviate from what they were originally taught.

I did not realize that it is as easy as just popping out the reg. All the FFM I have seen before it was a bit harder to remove the reg. That's a big improvement.

I'll retract "incompatible with shore diving." Still wouldn't be my choice, but if its as easy as popping out the reg, I could see folks shore diving with a FFM.

Yeah only the KM mask allows quick removal of the reg. once removed it operates exactly like a regular mask but doesn't need clearing.

Back
Top Bottom