A buddy with no Octo?

Would you dive *within recreational limits* with a buddy who has no Octo?

• Yes

Votes: 90 31.3%
  • No

Votes: 153 53.1%
  • I don't know

Votes: 11 3.8%
  • I'm antisocial, I don't want a buddy in the first place

Votes: 34 11.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No biggie.. The last two threads I started were more out of bordem than anything else.. What's sad is they've gotten more views and responses than my posts that were more important to me..

But that's life I guess..
Bring out controversy, and people talk, Talk about techinical issues, and people hide..

ScottB:
:wink: Well I am personally comfortable buddy breathing..

My reasoning for possibly going without an octo, is to remove as much excess equipment as possible.. while still scuba diving :wink:

I'm working on a travel setup for myself.. for mostly shallow reef.. 30-40 foot range.. 60 ft max..

The less stuff I have that can break, or have to pack.. the better :wink:

Right now the plan is a travel backplate, a hogarthian harness, AI hoseless computer, and a single first/second stage.... no buoyancy compensator, no octo, no pony.. Total travel weight not including mask/fins/wetsuit, about 4 pounds...
Things I'm carrying that can fail,.. first stage, regulator hose, second stage, computer..

It's not a cost issue, its a bare minimum as streamlined and lightweight as possible on scuba issue =)

I want to feel as free and unencumbered as possible..

In a pinch you can also breathe out of your power inflator/deflator, but it's not easy so you might want to practice if you go without a proper backup. If you are okay breathing off that and I'd get the primary, then that would be fine with me.

Also, check with the dive shop or resort you plan to use ahead of time because they may not let you dive your way while with them.

Damselfish:
I would on most dives at least with my regular buddy (my husband) as they still taught buddy breathing when we got certified.

Buddy breathing does not work when it hits the fan. I've seen it NOT WORK twice @ 90'. Saw 2 divers on different occasions bolt because they were so out of breath they thought they were not getting enough air from the donor's reg.

rigdiver:
Buddy breathing does not work when it hits the fan. I've seen it NOT WORK twice @ 90'. Saw 2 divers on different occasions bolt because they were so out of breath they thought they were not getting enough air from the donor's reg.
I agree it's not the best solution, but that's a bit of a generalization. You don't know me, or my buddy.

CBulla:
Does the ScubaPro Air 2 Alternate Inflator regulator count as not having a back up?
Yes! but too short, I prefer standard octopus :wink:

rigdiver:
It counts. Per my agency's standards.

Since the OP is saying he won't have a BCD, I'm guessing having an LPI alt source is also out of the question, therefor it wouldn't count I guess.

:)

I'm going to probably end up with an OCTO just to satisfy buddies and boats... But I was just curious what people would say :wink:

quite a few divers want their buddy to carry the backup gas. I bring my own backup gas. His back gas is my backup to my backup. I believe in being self sufficient as much as possible before burdening someone else. Why should my buddy carry and extra mask or extra light for me. I need to carry those myself. I would rather dive with someone who carries a pony than with someone who insist on staying within 2 feet of me so that I am responsible for getting them out of all their troubles. If we're diving less than 40ft, you better know how to reach the surface. If we're diving 80 ft you better be slinging a pony.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom