A career in Diving???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Vic,

Diving as a career ? Sure why not.

I spent 15 years trying to mesh with the rat race on the M4. It was OK but one day I just decided that I needed a break. So I took myself to Phi Phi Island in Thailand, completed my IDc and became an instructor - what the heck.

The cash is pretty poor but with accomodation only £5 a day it was OK. Do it for the love of it and the fun of teaching students - the rest will follow.

I'm currently helping out at a Dive Centre in Reading - It's fun but I'm back to Phi Phi soon. It gets in your blood.

Don't over analyse it, just go for it honey, regrets are all about opportunities you never took.

by the way I'm not some dive bum - I'm 37 with a wife and family so if I can do it you sure can!

Blue Kangaroo
ps Mail me if you want to chat things through - happy to give some help.

oh one other thing,

I don't want to piss on your chips but be very careful who you sign up with for internship - always remember you are not a dive slave. There are plenty of paying jobs - better to pay for the DM out of your savings, than have to work it off - trust me !

There are loads of rather unscrupulous ( spelling ?) shops willing to exploit keen new Dm's and Instructors. There are also loads of great outfits looking for great people.

Blue.

Becareful when considering turning the diving you love into a career. It could trash something you love.

Remember to save something you love doing for your escape from the things you have to do. R

thanks guys,
Its great to hear what the more experienced divers think, cause of course you know what you are chatting about... Kangaroo, ill be in touch, am crazily busy at work... but will PM you with some ?'s soon if thats ok? RavenC i totally hear you, and i have considered just continuing it as a hobby, and i may still do that, just depends on what i find on my travels next year...
I am pretty weary of those internships, and i definately dont want to be a slave... i suppose its a case of trawling through all of them and sounding them out, bench-marking them... all great fun though!!!
Keep the advice coming!
Vic!

RavenC once bubbled...
Becareful when considering turning the diving you love into a career. It could trash something you love.

Remember to save something you love doing for your escape from the things you have to do. R

If you can do what you love and get paid for it and still love it , you will be blessed. RavenCs words are wise and very worth considering.

mike

Hi Victoria,

Diving seems to very contagious for some, once you get the virus, you're done for anything else. I speak now from experience. I just got back from Dahab in the Sinai after a month of diving, doing my Open Water and AOW. As soon as I got home I did my Rescue and am now just coming to the end of my DM. After that it will definitely be Instructor. As I said, I am "done for anything else. I have been earning over $50k per year, and what for? To pay bills and keep everyone else in pocket and, not even enjoying life. But all has changed. Stuff work, I'm going back to Dahab next month indefinitely. I have 2-3 offers that might all fit in together, and I'll still take it easy and enjoy. Here is a link to a site in Dahab that might interest you, and I know the guy (an aussie) who owns it. It is an eco thing and has something to do with research, anyway, I'll find out more next month when I'm there.

Thats exactly how i feel Vernon! Ive been holding out because of my degree, which i had to finish, and now just to earn enough money to get myself sorted then im off... I did my OW and AOW in Sharm, fantatsic place. Dahab is definately somewhere i want to dive... i have one contact out there through a friend. You never left me that link on your post Vernon... it sounds interesting as i did a biology degree so would definately love to incorporate that into my diving if possible... Are you good on email? Could i possibly use you as a contact out in Sinai? Cheers for the encouragement.. Im glad im not the only one!

whahooo!

Here's to going for it !

I did and I'm happier now than I ever was. Earning a shed load of money inevitably means speading a shed load too - life was simply getting out of control and was I happy - nope !

But, I don't want to sound like your Dad but make sure you have a plan, jot it down, and read it every month - it's easy to slip in to Dive Bum Mode.

Plan you dive and dive your plan - it's more or less the same thing with life.

Blue

Cheers (Dad!)
You do live to your means at the end of the day, so if u arent too fussed about the designer gear, and your happy to live the 'simple' life then i cant see why money would be an issue... having just graduated im use to having no money anyway...
Now i just have to get started on that plan......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom