A career in Diving???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Vic,

Sorry about the no link, my brain is too quick for my fingers.

http://www.mate-dahab.com

Here is another link for a Dive Centre in Dahab where I hang out a bit and looks like I'll be driving the dive boat that is to come as well as othe things.

http://www.desert-divers.com

From what I heard about Sharm, I figured I didn't need to see it. Also, I heard lots of boats making lots of noise over dive sites. As I said, I am from the Gold Coast and I've had enough high living, expensive, materialistic tourism. Dahab took me back in time,and that in many ways.

Sure can use me as a contact, and yes, I'm good on email, whatever that means.

I'm getting closer to going. Had a garage sale today and got rid of all that "****" that has been weighing me down for years. Actually I've got another link to a site where I have some photos of Dahab.

http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/5189b/1ea02e/

I think you mentioned photography, that what I want to do there, but in the desert, when I'm not diving.

Hi Victoria
Excuse the delayed response but I've just logged on.
Thought you might be interested in checking out the London Scuba website http://www.londonscuba.com
They are doing free dm internships. I only know this because like you I'm dead keen to get on with my dive training. I just did my EFR course in preparation for the rescue diver course at the end of the month. They seem like a nice crowd. I know joining a London club seems kind of odd but they organise trips overseas and around the uk also. Unfortunately I wont be taking up their dm offer cause I'm heading to Melbourne at the end of the year.
Anyway - hope this was helpful! :)
Jacs

... there is a company in New Jersey looking to hire PADI certified divers to construct and tear down, temporary dams ...
There's an accident waiting to happen, working around dams is one (if not THE) most dangerous jobs a commercial diver can be on.
Using scoobie divers with no commercial training or experience is downright criminal.
That outfit needs to get slapped by OSHA, hopefully BEFORE they kill anybody.

Guys.. before this thread gets out of control, that company in New Jersey have a website... if you take a look they want more than just commercially qualified divers... and there is a lot of intensive training!! Being PADI qualified is one of the pre-requisites to even applying!

Jacs, thanks for that link... im actually planning to be in Oz next year myself. Have been offered a good deal with a guy who runs a dive centre out there. But will definately get in touch with the London club as i really need to meet up with some local divers before my withdrawal symptoms turn me into a prune!

Have fun in Oz!

Victoria once bubbled...
Guys.. before this thread gets out of control, that company in New Jersey have a website... if you take a look they want more than just commercially qualified divers... and there is a lot of intensive training!! Being PADI qualified is one of the pre-requisites to even applying!

I took a look, go to www.careerbuiler.com and enter divers in keyword search.

Manpower is doing the hiring and it says nothing about being more than commercially trained. Manpower is a temporary hiring firm. I agree with Bob3 and Blue Kangaroo on this one.

Divers Beware!

BTW Vic , congrats on finding a post, keep us informed

mike

I must have read something wrong then.. thats really bad! Not that i would actually apply for a job like that without the reassurance that i would get full and proper training! So i agree with you all too!
As far as the post goes.. ill keep u in the know.. when i actually know myself.. why is it when u think you have something sorted it all shoots up in the air again!!! raaaaah! :rolleyes:
Keep grooving!
Vic :D

Hi Vic/everyone else,

Like you I've had enough of the rat race in London, so in a month's time I'm moving to Australia where I'm gonna be doing my commercial diving qualifications alongside doing my DM training...

Hopefully this'll mean I can work as a DM, when I'm not working on commercial contracts... a far cry from publishing I guess!

Dunno is this is a route you'll consider, but if you want to work in diving I'd recommend getting out of the UK first... it's gonna cost you money to train, but nearly every country in the world is cheaper than the UK... it's costing me $10,000 to do my commercial qualifications in Oz compared to £10,000 in the UK... makes sense to me!

Good luck with it Vic...

James

Hey jamie,
No worries there... am definately getting out of the uk once im sorted... but i sort of have aplan to have an alternative career to fall back on 'just-in-case' which may seem over cautious to some, but a gals' gotta feed herself somehow!!! If i have two trades, when one is just noy happening i could maybe use the other... Not actually that interested in commercial diving (as in engineering work etc).. would definately like to do some work with film/photography and marine life/conservation as i did a biology degree... but i hear that industry is very competitive so that may have to sit on the back burner for a while...

One thing i must say about everyone that has entered a thread on this topic is that you have reassured me that it is a realistic career plan... and i will be going for it!
Goodluck all of you... maybe bump into you a few metres below sea level sometime!!!

Vic

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom