A Complete Gear-Up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As far as buying anything from ScubaToys particularly, or from the internet in general, the particular brand of an item can be a factor as to whether you get a factory warranty or not. Not to rehash some old heated arguments, but part of the reason to go to the LDS is the "L" part- support your local economy, maybe resolve a service issue face to face a couple of miles, not states, away. ScubaToys can't sell you anything thru the mail that violates their dealer agreements with the manufacturers they represent. That means no ScubaPro, no Aqualung (or Suunto, Apeks, Seaquest), etc. You may want to give a LDS nearby a shot. Take you list, with internet bottom line prices in and see what kind of package you can achieve. You might even get a bonus, such as free air for a year.

The other great thing about Scubatoys.com is that Larry is a very active participant here on the board-so it's easy to speak with him online as well. He has spent a lot of time here and has built a very solid reputation on Scubaboard based on his customer service (as well as his hometown I'm sure :wink: )

The other source listed earlier www.triple-l.biz is also represented ocassionally on the board by Jack Cummins (I've ordered from them several times and have been very pleased with product quality and their service. Actually I ordered a new wetsuit which arrived yesterday, they sent the wrong size - I told them, they are shipping out a new one and fed ex is picking up the old one today - very simple, easy solution.

Tim

I just bought a full equipment package from Scuba toys (via Larry) on Friday. I told him what I was looking for and he made a few suggestions. In the end I read off a list on what I wanted and he gave me a very good price on the package. (No bargaining required) BTW, Scuba Toys is one of 22 LDS for the DFW, TX area, so I had a lot of choices.

I have no experience with LP.

Mike

P.S. FYI, I bought regs, octo, BCD, dive computer, BU guage/watch, spare air kit, zeagle tool kit.

This thread was a big help. And after careful consideration and comparison, I decided to go with Do Dive In (my local dive shop in Peoria). They are authorized dealers for Auqalung, Scubapro, Henderson, Ect.... All my equipment came in at competive prices, wtih full factory warranties. It also came with a representative who I can talk to face to face when ever I have questions, or can see when something needs servicing. This was a huge expenditure for me; and I intend to work this equipment hard, and I need it to last. While I don't have a lot of dive experience, my dives do include 40 degree water 80 feet deep. I needed gear that could handle such dives on a regular basis. This is what I decided on:
Henderson 7mm 2pc Gold Core Wet Suit Package (w/hood, gloves, boots, ect...)
SeaQuest Pro QD+ BC w/ hanger
Aqualung Titan Balanced 1st and Balanced 2nd Stage Regulators, and Octopus
Mini 2 gauge console
Uawtec Aladin Prime Wrist Dive Computer
Retractable Compass
PST small 80cuft Pressed Steel Tanks
Deep See Stainless Steel Blunt Nose Dive Knife
Twin Speed Cold Water Fins
Aqualung Lengend Guage Bag
Amico Dive Mask and Snorkel Set
Saeko Dive (mask, fins, snorkel) Bag
Sherwood Mask Case
Underwater Slate w/ Keeper Assembly
Sea Drops Anti Fog Mask Drops
Soft Weights: 2-5lbs, 2-4lbs, 4-2lbs
San Moritz Dive Watch
LETS GO DIVE! :D

You may want to consider adding the 'environmental kit' to your Titan first stage, if you didn't already do so, based on your diving in 40 degree F water. I found this to be a small cost for extra pace of mind.

The only thing to think about it getting your gear worked on in town... It sucks to have your reg shipped off to get worked on!!!

Like warmwaterdiver said get the environmental kit for your titan! I went with the Legend LX Supreme for the cold dives we have up here in Montana!

Be careful with Leisure Pro... I got burned by them. Try the other, more reputable, online sellers (scuba.com, scubatoys, etc.). You don't see threads bashing them -- I'm sure this is no accident. Or, you can always try to haggle your LDS down from the typically ridiculous list prices... Just avoid LP -- my two cents.

Back
Top Bottom