A couple of my very first UW pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tried again, I think I like this one better. Just ran it through photoshop and tried to bring back some colors.

SatFeb2308052-2.jpg

The lack of color is from no strobe. If you dont have the strobe or flash the color will usualy turn out bluegreen due to you loosing the color red. you can try adding a filter but i dont know much about them. i know that when i started taking photos they turned out dark and green. so i added a strobe and the photos turn out in color.

Ahh ok thanks Erika, that explains why a couple of them have more color then others. Because some I was able to get really close and the flash worked somewhat on them and since I am in Hawaii the water is so clear I could take further away pics yet the color washes out because the flash doesnt carry that distance.

your welcome, I wish i was diving and taking pics in hawaii. but i think the closest ill get to that for now is So Cal :)

Would you mind going over the steps you used in photoshop for this kind of result?

Thanks!

Color correction, color by color using the sliders. Took me 3 minutes to do it and by no means am I an expert. I have had photoshop CS2 for about 3 days. Hopefully will get better when I get my Photoshop for dummies book.:D

your welcome, I wish i was diving and taking pics in hawaii. but i think the closest ill get to that for now is So Cal :)

So Cal is where I usually dive. I love our kelp beds.

A strobe would really help with the colours. While you dont have one I suggest you explore the manual setting of white balance. And do it often, when the depth changes, change the WB setting. And I think you still need to tweak the colours with software afterwards. If you have photoshop thats fine, but if you dont (like myself..) you could start playing with something as simple as Microsoft Picture Manager that comes in the office package. In the picture below I have boosted the blue colour (this was shot in very shallow water so the effect is just the opposite than in your pictures)

203PM2.jpg

And the original that only has been resized:

203PM.jpg

Software can only take so far, what you really need is to get it as close to the desired result in the beginning. Well, I'm just learning to shoot uw myself, but I hope this helps and I'm not writing just rubbish here...

If you want to use software to adjust a picture but you don't want to spend the money on photoshop (can't blame you) then I would suggest getting GIMP. It is a very good program and its free. So even if its not as good as PS it is great for trying and seeing if you want to play with photos that way.

Great pics, keep up the work.

A strobe would really help with the colours. While you dont have one I suggest you explore the manual setting of white balance. And do it often, when the depth changes, change the WB setting. And I think you still need to tweak the colours with software afterwards. If you have photoshop thats fine, but if you dont (like myself..) you could start playing with something as simple as Microsoft Picture Manager that comes in the office package. In the picture below I have boosted the blue colour (this was shot in very shallow water so the effect is just the opposite than in your pictures)

203PM2.jpg

And the original that only has been resized:

203PM.jpg

Software can only take so far, what you really need is to get it as close to the desired result in the beginning. Well, I'm just learning to shoot uw myself, but I hope this helps and I'm not writing just rubbish here...

Hope you don't mind but I ran your pic through a quick photoshop just to give another result on your picture.
296kuj8.jpg
[/IMG]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom