A couple of my very first UW pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

somewhat morbid I was thinking myself. Look mom a dead fish!

How is this...

Use the color adjustment to add back in red and yellow
Use the levels ajustment to adjust saturation

One way to do the white balance after the fact is to bring up the levels adjustment, bring the left hand slider under the histogram to the right until it is under the edge of the left hand side of the historgram (if it already is, don't bother) then slide the right hand slider all the way over to the left, this should result in some bleached out section sof color with areas of white, in the "whitest" white use the left hand eye-dropper to take a sample.

Once you have done the above use the color correction to add back in red (don't be shy) and yellow (don't a coward) and a touc of magenta.

Last, use the level adjustment again with the center slider to adjust the saturation.

Mike

Attachments

• SATFEBmra2.jpg
    SATFEBmra2.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 30
  • SATFEBmra3.jpg
    SATFEBmra3.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 34
To the OP, good pics......try these following settings tomorrow and report back......(1)Set camera on Av...(2) use ISO 80 only...(3)set on UNDERWATER(fish icon) for white balance setting...(4)macro always(flower picture)...(5)flash on...and (6) f-stop set between 3.5 and 4.5(middle of that is 4.0)......of course have it set on S and L.....try these settings(the only one you're changing @ all is the f-stop) and let us see the results.........take a look @ my 1st day pics(see link below--about 2/3 were taken on day 1) with my A570, they were taken basically with these same settings..after a while, you need to venture out & try custom white balance & more f-stops etc etc......good luck......

GEAUXtiger/UW PS Pics - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Sasscuba: I think its starting to have too much contrast, the bright parts are quite badly overexposed. And its ok to play with my pictures, you learn by trying I think.

Others comments: yes it's a bit morbid image, but such is life. Death is always just around the corner, but... 'Always look on the bright side of death... [add some whistling here]'

Diver 85 thanks for the setting suggestions, sadly I just got back home to Corona but I should be out diving at Catalina soon so Ill try those settings for sure then start messing a little more after that. Your pics look brilliantly colored, were you using a strobe or the cameras flash with the diffuser on the UW case?

Try playing around with a strobe when your at deeper depths. I like using natural light with the use of a magic filter when I'm shallow and its a clear sunny day. But deeper depths really needs a little pop with a strobe to keep the saturation in colors. Great images though....really cool. Wanna see more!!!!

Diver 85 thanks for the setting suggestions, sadly I just got back home to Corona but I should be out diving at Catalina soon so Ill try those settings for sure then start messing a little more after that. Your pics look brilliantly colored, were you using a strobe or the cameras flash with the diffuser on the UW case?

Camera's internal flash(no strobe) with the diffuser(100% of time) in a Canon housing...BTW, all the pics in my sig except for the 2 on Roatan in Bear's Den were taken with my A570 on basically these settings I talked about(some were with manuel white balance some with the UNDERWATER setting)

Example: the following picture was taken @ 100 fsw on Av, ISO=80, f-stop 3.5, underwater setting on, macro, & flash was on......
IMG_1474_066.jpg

Is that a tag under his left flipper??

Camera's internal flash(no strobe) with the diffuser(100% of time) in a Canon housing...BTW, all the pics in my sig except for the 2 on Roatan in Bear's Den were taken with my A570 on basically these settings I talked about(some were with manuel white balance some with the UNDERWATER setting)

Example: the following picture was taken @ 100 fsw on Av, ISO=80, f-stop 3.5, underwater setting on, macro, & flash was on......
IMG_1474_066.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom