a few days to change my mind

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

farnum

Registered
Reaction score
After visiting many of my local dive shops and talking to a lot of salespeople, I have made decisions about my new equipment.
BC: Scubapro Glide Plus
Reg: Scubapro MK16/S550
Computer: Oceanic Veo 200
2nd: Air II
Fins: Scubapro Twin Jets

I am going to pick it all up on Saturday, so I still have a few days to change my mind. Any pros/cons that I might not realize when I am trying them on in the store/pool?

Thanks

farnum:
After visiting many of my local dive shops and talking to a lot of salespeople, I have made decisions about my new equipment.
BC: Scubapro Glide Plus
Reg: Scubapro MK16/S550
Computer: Oceanic Veo 200
Fins: Scubapro Twin Jets

I am going to pick it all up on Saturday, so I still have a few days to change my mind. Any pros/cons that I might not realize when I am trying them on in the store/pool?

Thanks

Good choice on the reg, but I would scrap the rest. You could get an S600 or a G250HP for a little more...worth the money in my opinion.

Instead of an AIR II, get a regular backup reg and wear it around your neck in a necklace. An R190 or R390 would be a good choice.

You really don't need a computer. Eliminating the computer will also help save money. You need to get a bottom timer instead.

Jet Fins are much better than Twin Jets. I used to dive Twin Jets and the Jet Fin is much, much better.

As for the BC, I like a backplate and wing setup.

Have you checked the prices for this gear online?

The big question should be, "what do you think"?

You are the one diving with this gear and it is your hard earned money. You will get a lot of different opinions here.

I do offer this advice to everyone who asks these questions here, what type of diving are you planning on doing 1, 2 or even three years from now. Base your decision on this when you buy your gear. Dive gear will last you a long time and you will be able to use it then as well as today.

I do agree with a lot of the previous posters suggestions. I would get rid of the AIR II option, in theory it is a good idea, but in practice it leave a little to be desired. If you can afford the computer, get it. It is better than just diving straight tables. You will get better bottom times.

I would go with the best reg setup you can get. The MK20/25 with a G250 is a very good all around choice.

The fin choice is so personal, only you can decide on this one.

As far as the BC goes, if you are never going to do any type of technical diving, then stay with the jacket style BC. If you think you might want to get into tech diving go with a back plate and wing. It will save you in the long run only buying gear once.

Good luck and DSAO

All good advice. Remember, Buy what you like! not what the shop or some one else likes. The only thing that I would personaly turn tail and run from is the Air2 (however there are many people that use and like them, just my preference). You should seriously consider a standard backup reg. Many schools of thought say your backup should be just as good as your primary because reguardless of training the backup is what you usually end up breathing from when a diver experiencing an OOG comes to you for gas. I would also not write off a Backplate and Wings setup for your BC. Many people use a BP/Wings setup for recreational diving and swear by it. Remember the important thing is that YOU get what YOU want!

Have you tried different setups? If not, it would be worth it. Before you realize that you are stuck with equipment you do not like. If you can get your hands on a setup with an Air2, try breathing off of it while maintaining your bouyancy.

BTW, welcome to the board.

Jambi

ElectricZombie:
Good choice on the reg, but I would scrap the rest. You could get an S600 or a G250HP for a little more...worth the money in my opinion.

Instead of an AIR II, get a regular backup reg and wear it around your neck in a necklace. An R190 or R390 would be a good choice.

You really don't need a computer. Eliminating the computer will also help save money. You need to get a bottom timer instead.

Jet Fins are much better than Twin Jets. I used to dive Twin Jets and the Jet Fin is much, much better.

As for the BC, I like a backplate and wing setup.

Have you checked the prices for this gear online?

Do NOT bungee the backup reg around your neck unless your primary is on a 7' hose. I have seen this done and it is asinine. Your backup needs to be deployable unless you plan to donate your primary!! And do not go with the 7' hose unless you plan to do some tech training so that you KNOW how to use it properly.

Also, if you are not planning to go tech, the TwinJets are marvelous fins! I have a pair and love them for my recreational diving. (Also have a pair of the standard Jets for my tech diving.)

Nothing wrong with any of your choices. Most would argue against the AirII, but I have several good diving buddies who prefer it. Please yourself.

theskull

About the fins. You should try these products out cause some of this stuff is very personal to everyone and opinions are subjective. In case of the Twin Jets you need to fins a specific trick. You need to kick em with your ankle. It's tricky but when you got it then they are the best. Jet fins on the other hand need string muscles and that is why i've heard that many users don't like them.

Definately try them before buying.

theskull:
Also, if you are not planning to go tech, the TwinJets are marvelous fins! I have a pair and love them for my recreational diving. (Also have a pair of the standard Jets for my tech diving.)

theskull
I absolutle agree. JetFins are - at least that's what I know - much more for technical diving. I have TwinJets and I love them. I also have the Scubapro Glide Star and I like it only the integrated weights pockets are a bit too small.
Mania

Farnum,
Everyone on the board has their own opinions on acceptable gear setups, so you might want to be more specific as to what you plan to do, scuba-wise. Are you going to be a 5 dives a year, warm water only diver? Are you planning to do tech/wreck diving in the near future? Consider what you would like to experience within the next, say, 5 to 10 years and get gear/opinions that fits your needs.

farnum:

I would get a second identical second stage configured as a “traditional” octopus rather than an Air II. While the AIR II does eliminate a hose it complicates an OOA situation when you’re the donor; it’s a tradeoff. Investigate the difference and make sure it’s a tradeoff you’re going to be happy with.

Mike

you can bungee the backup around your neck even if your primary hose is not 7'. it is no different from using an airII in that regard. in both cases you donate your primary and i have not come across anyone with an airII type second who uses a long hose for his primary.
this being said, i would recommend the longer hose setup. it does make managing emergencies easier and safer as does a "normal" second stage over an airII. the main point against the airII is that it is difficult to manage buoyancy when ascending while breathing from the airII.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom