A mid-week escape from Cozumel...Holbox...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Christi

PADI MSDT/Former CZM Dive op owner
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Finally, after four years of trying...I made it to Holbox to swim with the Whale Sharks...and what a treat it was! The Whale Shark Experience in Holbox is definitely something to add to your "to do" list...for non-divers as well since it's not a dive.

Holbox island is a charming little place and I definitely plan on returning again and again! In fact, I'm actually going back to Holbox tomorrow! Some of my divers are dying to go, so I got it set up and I'm taking them over there tomorrow afternoon so we can depart for the whale shark search EARLY Tuesday morning.

The best time for the Whale sharks in July - August, but by early to mid September, they are moving out and too deep.

These animals are next to impossible to photograph due to the fact that we are snorkeling vs. diving, the low visibility of the water and prohibition of using a flash (wouldn't help anyway) and they move a lot faster than you would imagine...not to mention the size...you just can't get a full body shot having to be that close to them. Photos simply don't do this experience justice, but I will still share them :) I'm mad at myself because on the boat on the way BACK to the pier, I remembered that my little camera takes video! The video might have turned out pretty good....at least to see the whole fish! This is something you HAVE to experience.

At one point, we had six to eight of them together in one place! Keep in mind what I said about the difficulty of photos above...nevertheless, here are a few!

e8779a99.jpg

e87799b8.jpg

e87799a3.jpg

e87797d5.jpg

e87797c8.jpg

e8779aa1.jpg

Hi Christi,
Thank you for your post, the pictures are great.
Quick question, are you offering this trip to other divers that don't dive with you?
If not can you give more details of how to get there from Coz and where to sign up for the trip?
Looks that you have to stay overnight ?
Thank you
Paul

Very nice Christi. Just as I remember it. I took that trip about 4 years ago and for anyone that is interested it is truely a trip you will never forget.

These giants of the ocean are so tame and docile that they will certainly let you know just how samll and insignificant we as humans really are.

Anyone that has not done this and has the chance should go.

paulpost:
Hi Christi,
Thank you for your post, the pictures are great.
Quick question, are you offering this trip to other divers that don't dive with you?
If not can you give more details of how to get there from Coz and where to sign up for the trip?
Looks that you have to stay overnight?
Thank you
Paul

There is alot of work/time involved in putting this together, so yes, I am only setting this trip up for my divers at this point.

However, Cozumel Insider has a great all-inclusive trip:
http://www.cozumelinsider.com/Whaleshark

Great that you finally got out with them! I only managed two days out with them this season here, though they are still around so I might get lucky if I can free up some time this week!

Sorry the conditions there aren't great for photography but the experience far surpasses getting good images imho!

Looks like they haven't implemented a "no go zone" as yet. Are you going across for the WS conference in August? I thought I was going to be able to make it, but I just couldn't get away ;(

alcina:
Great that you finally got out with them! I only managed two days out with them this season here, though they are still around so I might get lucky if I can free up some time this week!

Sorry the conditions there aren't great for photography but the experience far surpasses getting good images imho!

Looks like they haven't implemented a "no go zone" as yet. Are you going across for the WS conference in August? I thought I was going to be able to make it, but I just couldn't get away ;(

I agree...the experience far surpasses the photos. In fact...I didn't even take pictures each time I was in the water with them...I had to concentrate on keeping my mouth closed (vs. dropping open in amazement...haha). Apparently the water conditions are really good on some days...but they said on those days, they don't see as many.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "no go" zone, but the rules are:
  • Only two people and one guide in the water at a time
  • boat has to maintain a specific distance from them (can't remember what that distance is, but I know the boat captain was very conscientious about this)
  • no touching or riding the whales - but sometimes they swim up very close to you
  • no flash cameras
  • only biodegradable sunscreen (they were strict about this and checked everyone's sunscreen to make sure it was biodegradable)
  • floating device required (either a wetsuit or life jacket)

Christi:
I'm not sure what you mean by a "no go" zone, but the rules are:
  • no touching or riding the whales - but sometimes they swim up very close to you

We have a 3m exclusion zone around the whale SHARK's body ( :wink: couldn't resist) - but our viz is never that bad so 3m isn't a problem.

We don't allow flash/strobes here either - which is a good thing coz those surface floaties sure do light up! :D

Hope your next adventure with them is equally fabulous!

Thank you very much for the link.
Another question if you don't mind, as long as is a snorkeling trip so no scuba tanks allowed but what about pony bottles?
Thanks

Thanks for the post. I hope to someday do it myself. Good for you.

paulpost:
Thank you very much for the link.
Another question if you don't mind, as long as is a snorkeling trip so no scuba tanks allowed but what about pony bottles?
Thanks
That would be Scuba with a small tank. And I don't know why you'd want to? I have done this yet - a month away, but I understand the snorkeling is great. What did you want to do, chase them down?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom