A possibly silly fin question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Once I forgot my one of my booties on the Maximus. Carlos wrapped my feet in rags which he ducktaped in place. Worked fine with a open heel and I didn't notice a difference in drag.....
OMG ..... Pictures! We need pictures!!! :shocked:

(Carlos does love his duct tape though!!)

If you dive long enough, anywhere, you will have to kick for real. If that happens to you a full foot fin is better, about that there should be no question. And yes, most DMs in Cozumel do wear full foot fins.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

If you want to use a light weight bootie with full foot fins ( I use 2mm booties with freedive fins fairly regularly), the Argos booties are the best I have used. Not the best for rocky shore entries, but great for a boat!

I push around a rather large camera with two strobes and a light. I used to have open healed Mares twins for years and years. Now, Myself, Sallye, Liang, Steve and Dario (among others...) all use these Mares full foot fins:
Mares Avanti Quattro Power Full Foot Long Blade Fins
Once you try them I don't think you'll go back. If you ever have to go against current for whatever reason, these are the ones to have. They run large. My 10.5 foot ended up with the 8-9 size.
They also work well for free dives and snorkeling. Overall, waayyyy, way better than the hard plastic fins I used to have
Edit: Added Steve.
EditX2: Do NOT hang these by the heel, fin tip down of the fin when doing the rinse/dry thing... Whatever, don't hang them by the heel, on a rack, on land. Got this from the people that use em' daily down there.

Last edited:
All things being equal, eliminating a buckle and associated strap is going to reduce drag. .

Great post. Thanks.

I think the important part is all things being equal. The few divers I've seen in full foot fins are wearing teeny tiny snorkeling fins that look like they came from walmart, and those aren't very efficient; the divers look like they have to work hard to get anywhere if there is no current. So a blanket statement that full foot is better than open heel doesn't really work- because you need to compare GOOD full foot fins to GOOD open heel fins.

But I absolutely agree with why a high quality full foot fin is better, if propulsion in the water is your only concern. (Being able to walk around comfortably is a huge benefit for me of open heel.)

I really think the primary issue here is that it's usually better to use the fins one owns instead of other ones.

My personal preference for tropical diving is full-foot. They're lighter and have less drag, I don't get elephant foot with a bootie, and I like long-blade fins that aren't available in open-heel designs.

I also use open heel fins and booties for reasons that others have stated. I think the drag issue associated with them is a minor one compared to the combined drag of a BC, tank, weights, mask, regulator, and all the other accoutrement that we take with us diving. When I snorkel I sometimes get full foot fins from the dive shop.

I wear my fins with booties and socks no matter where we go and I have never had any issues! you will be fine!

I'm with TS&M, I can't imagine wearing a full foot fin. I've had chafing with socks and 7mm boots. I could see how someone could get away with it for a few days of diving but we go for 2 weeks usually. Add some steel tanks (uh'oh) and that's a long time to chafe the cr@p out of my feet. Plus on a crowded dive boat bare feet are just asking for trouble. I stubbed my toe in Grand Turk last year, owwwww, I had not put my boots on yet!

As for power I think fin choice would matter more. My Warp1 fins are stiff but I managed some wicked currents while my wife and son (Seawing Nova's) had a much harder time of it.

Great post. Thanks.

I think the important part is all things being equal. The few divers I've seen in full foot fins are wearing teeny tiny snorkeling fins that look like they came from walmart, and those aren't very efficient; the divers look like they have to work hard to get anywhere if there is no current. So a blanket statement that full foot is better than open heel doesn't really work- because you need to compare GOOD full foot fins to GOOD open heel fins.

But I absolutely agree with why a high quality full foot fin is better, if propulsion in the water is your only concern. (Being able to walk around comfortably is a huge benefit for me of open heel.)

Thanks, yes many of the least expensive and worst performing fins will have full foot - foot pockets, but the best performing fins will also. If you look to the "professional" people who dive in warm water environments (on a daily basis), you will see a strong preference for full foot fins.

You have to think that performance and comfort are both important to these people. Don't be surprised if a $12 pair of full foot fins, when worn bare foot is uncomfortable. Also, some of the open heel scuba fins have foot pockets that do NOT conform well to the shape of the foot- it is no wonder a diver needs socks and boots and still ends up with blisters!

Many people can wear a quality closed heel freedive fin barefoot! (because the footpocket has been designed for a foot, not a rectangle. :wink:

The Mares fins are excellent, but these fins all cost significantly less and should perform very well in the water.

Los Ninos Freedive Fins | MAKO Spearguns

MLNFF-2.jpg

Competition Freediver Fins | MAKO Spearguns

MCFF-2.jpg

Freedive Hunter Freediving Fins | MAKO Spearguns
MFHFF-2.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom